Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2014 06:00

FTP settings do not have an affect / FTP troubles

I still have trouble with the Isilon FTP service. Before I do changes at customer side I test it with a Virtual Isilon cluster.

I want all users to be jailed inside their home directory when they connect via ftp. I do not want them to change to other directories. According to my understanding there is the option "chroot-local-mode" (and "chroot-exception-list").

But there is no difference if I switch it on/off or put some users in the exception list. All local users can view and edit all other user directories and of course the system directories above ifs (etc, ...) too.

I tried the hints from 000089716 and 000090006 but nothing worked for me. Here is the configuration:

test-1# isi ftp list

accept-timeout         60

allow-anon-access      NO

allow-anon-upload      NO

allow-dirlists         NO

allow-downloads        YES

allow-local-access     YES

allow-writes           YES

always-chdir-homedir   NO

anon-chown-username    root

anon-root-path         /ifs/home/ftp

anon-umask             077

ascii-mode             off

connect-timeout        60

data-timeout           300

dirlist-localtime      NO

dirlist-names          hide

file-create-perm       0666

local-root-path        local user home directory

local-umask            077

server-to-server       NO

session-timeout        300

user-config-dir

denied-user-list       (none)

limit-anon-passwords   NO

anon-password-list     (disabled)

chroot-local-mode      All local users chrooted; exception list inactive

chroot-exception-list  (none)

user.png

What is going wrong there?

I tried some standard FreeBSD commands related to FTP configuration but nothing seems to be working at the Isilon cluster. Of course, after every change I restarted the ftp service.

And an other problem:

What do I have to change if I want to have /ifs/data as the standard home directory for some users? Through the WebUI I cannot use this path as the home directory for the local users. There appears the error "Error #1: The requested home directory (/ifs/data/) is in use by someone else."

Is there a detailed documentation which ftp commands and possibilities are supported by Isilon and which not? The Command Reference and the Administration Guide is not helpful.

And - if If disable the FTP service - all local users can still connect via FTP and see all files. ?!

287 Posts

April 8th, 2014 02:00

For your first question, test following settings

always-chdir-homedir   Yes

chroot-local-mode      All local users chrooted; exception list inactive.

For you second question:  setting is same as above.

always-chdir-homedir   Yes

chroot-local-mode      All local users chrooted; exception list inactive.

for user you want to redirect to /ifs/data do following in addition

・delete the home directory and make a symbolic link to /ifs/data

For example, if you want to make user:  test2 and his home directory is /ifs/home/test2

rm -rf /ifs/home/test2

ln -s /ifs/data /ifs/home/test2

I hope this will work for you.

107 Posts

April 10th, 2014 07:00

Hi go.y,

thank you for the workaround with symbolic links. That could be one solution. But I think this is not the final solution.

Yesterday I worked at a Isilon cluster at which a lot of local user home directories pointed to /ifs/data without symbolic links. I do not know how it is made but I checked it in the WebUI and there the home directory paths /ifs/data was configured.

Does anybody know how it was made? Every time I try to change the home directory path from /ifs/home/username to /ifs/data appears the error I mentioned above. And I got the same error if I try to change the home directory path through CLI.

I think there must be an other solution for that.

1.2K Posts

April 10th, 2014 08:00

Philipp:

set the home directory naming to "/ifs/data"  (no %U) for the LOCAL provider,

then create users at the LOCAL provider,

just leave the home dir blank: it will be set to /ifs/data

(maybe choose a less generic path other than /ifs/data to prevent any collisions)

hth

-- Peter

107 Posts

April 15th, 2014 07:00

I found a solution to change the home directory despite of the error. The solution is the force parameter (-f) at the CLI command. The behavior is explained in the KB article https://support.emc.com/kb/88936 for new users. But it also works with existing users and directories.

I think this is the right solution for my problem and better than using symbolic links.

No Events found!