Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2014 18:00

How is the InsightIQ Filesystem Usage Analytic Report data collected

Hi, I am a Solution Architect working in NJ/NY divison. We are working with a EMC customer who recently have Isilon Installed. Previously we have developed a tool for the other NAS platforms (VNX, NetApp Filer, and  OnStor) to privide the user insights into file level information, such as the file type, last modified time, last access time, owner, ACL, etc.  and we can generate reports at the directory level based on the customer requirements. In order to get such information, we have developed some scanner to walk through the entire filesystem hiearchy from the NFS/CIFS clients. They would like us to extend this functionality to Isilon as well. But they pointed out that InsightIQ may provide similar information. So two questions from the customer: 1. Does InsightIQ also scan the filesystem as our tool from the NFS/CIFS clients? I do not think so but I just need to confirm. Coustomer does not want to scan the filesystems twice to impact the performance. 2. Is there a way to pull the information directly through InsightIQ? Is there a document that has all the detailed capacity information and file level information available in InsightIQ? Thanks a lot!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 24th, 2014 20:00

Isilon has a job that scans the file system to deliver file system stats to InsightIQ, this job name is FSAnalyze. It provides info such as how many files/directories, sizes, not ACLs though. Did you have a chance to look at InsightIQ admin guide ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 26th, 2014 20:00

Hi Dynamox:

Do you have an URL in hand to the InsightIQ admin guide?  I search around, but only find a user guide.

Appreciate for your response.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 26th, 2014 20:00

that's probably what i was thinking of.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2014 00:00

Thanks dynamox.

One more thing need your help.

I build a insightIQ instance in vLab, but i was told that: "

Currently 3.0 exports Performance data and not File System data. A release will be coming soon which enables the

export of the File System data also."

I checked the "InsightIQ-3.0.1-Release-Notes", seems like it still doesn't support the export of File System report data, is this correct?

132 Posts

October 27th, 2014 03:00

You are correct that currently IIQ does not allow export of the File System report data.  You can however directly access the SQLite 3 database on the cluster itself if you want to mine that for information.  The last FSA results are normally found here:

/ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa/pub/latest

The latest is a symlink to a directory that corresponds to the FSA job id. e.g. job.100 or job.153

If you are only looking for the same information that is available in the FSA file reports in IIQ you can mine the data out of the SQLite DB.  If you need full details on every file/directory then FSA is not going to be able to provide the information you are looking for.  We normally only keep 1000 of the top N values for most recently access files or directories as an example.  We also have something we call path squashing, which defaults to 5.  So all directories underneath the 5th have their statistics collapsed into the 5th level directory.  An example of that would be /ifs/1/2/3/4/5.  Any directory underneath 5 gets squashed to 5.

110 Posts

October 27th, 2014 13:00

InsightIQ 3.1 is released today and supports the CSV export of FSA data.

No Events found!