Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 30th, 2016 15:00

How to disable SMB1 on Isilon OneFS?

Need help on disabling SMB1 for Isilon OneFS.

8.6K Posts

October 1st, 2016 12:00

I would suggest to move your post to the Isilon community

you have a much better chance for an answer there than here on the VNX forum

17 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion, Rainer_EMC.  I am new to the communities, and obviously trying to get some help.  What's the best way to move my post?  Not much in progress in my post at this time.  Should I just create the same post at the Isilon community?

8.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 13:00

check if you see a "move" on the actions on the right side

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 06:00

Hey there bang11,

I don't think there's anyway you can disable SMB1 from the Isilon side. Depending on which OneFS you're currently running Isilon "can" negotiate through SMB1, SMB2, SMB2.1, even SMB3 (to some extent) during handshake. However, which underlying version of SMB the cluster and the client "will" finally negotiate upon depends on the protocols your Windows client support/prefers. If you're using SmartConnect zone name/FQDN/shortname to connect to the Isilon and have an Active Directory as global  authentication provider, it's more than likely that the clients are negotiating over SMB2/SMB2.1.

SMB1 over NT Lan Manager (NTLM) is always our last resource if we end up accessing shares with IP addresses. So it's never disabled.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards.

17 Posts

October 4th, 2016 09:00

Hi dipan,

Thank you for responding to my post.  SMB1 is on the deprecation list for Windows Server 2012 R2.  Currently no supported Windows operating systems can only negotiate SMB1.  In our Windows file server, we have disabled SMB1 via registry for improved security.  Now if we want to migrate this Windows file server to Isilon, there seems no option for us to have SMB1 disabled.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 15:00

Hello,

The ability to disable smb v1 was added to 7.2.1.5

https://support.emc.com/docu60143_Isilon-OneFS-7.2.1.0---7.2.1.5-Release-Notes.pdf?language=en_US

To disable support for the SMB1 protocol, run the following command:

isi_gconfig registry.Services.lwio.Parameters.Drivers.srv.SupportSmb1=0

Same command for 8.0.x

31 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 17:00

In case anyone is interested the instructions for disabling and enabling SMB1 and SMB2 or 3 from a Windows client can be found at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-enable-and-disable-smbv1,-smbv2,-and-smbv3-in-windows-vista,-windows-server-2008,-windows-7,-windows-server-2008-r2,-windows-8,-and-windows-server-2012

Note that the instructions for managing Windows as a _client_ are at the bottom of the page.   The sc.exe commands.   The PowerShell stuff towards the top of the page are for managing the Windows machine acting as a file server, not client.

Cheers,
Chris

17 Posts

April 4th, 2017 14:00

Thank you thunzeker for answering my question.  Unfortunately I failed to view the link provided (permission issue).

17 Posts

April 7th, 2017 08:00

Still being moderated?  It's normally to wait for a few hours.  Is it a new record for 3 days?

Hope it will not be that long for this message.

8.6K Posts

May 17th, 2017 06:00

I would suggest to try the link again - it works fine for me

17 Posts

May 17th, 2017 09:00

Hi Rainer_EMC,

Thank you for checking it out.  I tried but was prompted for the user info.  It still requires a certain privilege to access, which I don't have at this time.

To: bang11

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:58 AM

Subject: New message: "How to disable SMB1 on Isilon OneFS?"

|

EMC Community Network

|

How to disable SMB1 on Isilon OneFS?

reply from Rainer_EMC in Isilon - View the full discussionI would suggest to try the link again - it works fine for me

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on DECN

Start a new discussion in Isilon by email or at DECN

Following How to disable SMB1 on Isilon OneFS? in these streams: Inbox

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

May 17th, 2017 22:00

bang11,

Did you read thunzeker reply? the link is just the OneFS 7.2.1.5 Release Notes. Link to disable SMB1 is below.

498455 : How To Enable or Disable SMB1 On Cluster

https://support.emc.com/kb/498455

From thunzeker:

To disable support for the SMB1 protocol, run the following command:

isi_gconfig registry.Services.lwio.Parameters.Drivers.srv.SupportSmb1=0

Same command for 8.0.x

No Events found!