Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2013 12:00

How would we fail over Isilon shares in a DR situation?

We are new to Isilon.  Our production Isilon has a number of shares, which have permissions specific to the application/users using the shares.  This Isilion replicates to our DR Isilon.  The folder structure, folders, and data is on the DR Isilon and matches what is on the production side.  From what I can see, it looks like if we had a DR situation and had to access the data on the DR Isilon, we would need to manually build the shares and add the permissions.  Is this the case?  Or, is there a way to replicate the share permissions from the production Isilon to the DR Isilon?

Thank you!

Mary Aplin

October 30th, 2013 20:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Isilon Support Forum"

Isilon Support Forum

Mary, you are correct that SyncIQ only replicates the data itself (along with its core metadata such as ACLs, POSIX mode bits, ownership, modify times, etc.).  You are correct that all else such as SMB Shares, NFS exports, local groups, quotas, etc does need to be created/handled separately.

However, only currently available through EMC Professional Services (that is, with support), there is a separate utility that has been developed within EMC (separate from the core Isilon developers) that can export the information and then you can that the JSON output and then import it on the peer array.

It is mentioned at the bottom of the follow thread.  In fact, Andrew Chung who replied is a member of the EMC Professional Services team and is involved with the development of the script.

https://community.emc.com/message/762507#762507

November 1st, 2013 06:00

Thank you, Christopher.  I'll get in touch with Professional Services.

November 1st, 2013 20:00

Do you mind moving this discussion as-is as mentioned above so that others can benefit from the Q&A?

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Isilon Support Forum"

Thank you.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2013 12:00

And when you run this scrpit it does build the shares and its permissions on the DR Isilon.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2013 12:00

I would assume the data in your setup is being replicated to teh DR Isilon via the SyncIQ? Currently I Believe EMC doesnt have a function to click a button and have your Isilon failove to the DR side. They have the a script that you will have to run when you would like to failover to DR. We were told the future release will have feature in GUI to failover.

No Events found!