Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2013 15:00

ISILON SMB - file in Use error

Hello,

we seen his weird message couple of times but every time i thought some other user really open this file but this time this is a new share is used by 2 people

and no one using it right now but when we try to open the excel its giving the below error [ screen shot attached ] . is there any bug ? also is there any cmd to find the active session of SMB share / open files and kill those through CLI ?

anyone have this issue before ? we are at 7.0.1.4

1 Attachment

September 9th, 2014 16:00

I have combined a few of the previously mentioned into one that works well for me.

isi_for_array isi smb openfiles list --verbose | grep -A3 "%filename%"

19 Posts

September 10th, 2014 00:00

I am constantly unlocking locked files due to an error we are unable to narrow down. I prefer the following:

isi_for_array  "isi smb openfiles list --verbose" |grep -B3 -A3 (Username)

300 Posts

September 12th, 2014 11:00

If Users are behind a firewall, check the keepalive / keepidle times of the tcp settings on client / firewall and cluster. Sometimes a firewall closes the tcp-session without correctly informing client and server.

7 Posts

September 12th, 2014 13:00

Problem with user session, timeouts, and open files.

Yes, keepalive is very important, once I had a case where firewall was configured with 60 sec instead of 60 minutes.

19 Posts

September 14th, 2014 03:00

We are struggling to find a solution for this one. We got no firewalls in place between the isilon and the clients. There is no firewall installed on the Windows 7 clients. The error does not happend on every client whicht is a miracle because we use GPOs, Central Software Distribution and Images for Windows Installation, but still the clients behave different.

Allow Trusted Locations and Procteded Views is Setup like you recommended in your Blog.

The error appears when a user locks his workstation with an opened but unsaved document and comes back in after 30 or more Minutes and hits the safe button.

Ingo

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 14th, 2014 05:00

did you try to run tcpdump on Isilon and Wireshark on the client and try to capture that period of time when this issue occurs. Once captured you can ask Isilon support to help you review it.

Just for giggles try the settings i provided in this thread.

Re: Problem with user session, timeouts, and open files.

19 Posts

September 14th, 2014 22:00

We are unable to perform an tcpdump on isilon, this cluster is way to slow for this. I cannot see anything withing this trace pointing to an error. The SR is open for a few months but still without a solution.

I even applied your solution last tuesday, but again without any improvements.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 15th, 2014 04:00

the cluster is too slow to run tcpdump ?  How's that ?

19 Posts

September 15th, 2014 05:00

I got four X200 Nodes each with 10 1TB SATA and a single SSD having 7500 SMB connections. There is diskless A100 as well (but without any use, EMC overlooked that our rusty VTL is not listed in their HCL). Whenever I start a capture the node stops responding to any new connection. With an clusterwide tcpdump the whole cluster stales.

From my point of view the sizing is way to small. I made a presentation showing up the sizing is to small. They expected to push out 12.000 Protocol Request with the nodes w. 11 1TB SATA drives each. SyncIQ to the secondary site is running as well. They agreed and we added a ssd of the delivered nodes and another node to each site.

Ingo

1.2K Posts

September 16th, 2014 01:00

Ingo

tcpdump troubles even if filtering traffic from/to a single test client?

Have you considered using the idle A100 and a dedicated address pool

for testing/tcpdump with selected clients? (Some might say using Backup-A100

for NAS traffic is not recommend, but should be fine for isolated test cases.)

-- Peter

7 Posts

September 26th, 2014 10:00

If you see "file in use" error and network trace shows STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION  and your cluster version is 7.0.2.4 -7.0.2.9 : with high chance you have to upgrade to OneFS 7.0.2.10.

No Events found!