Highlighted
steffen_ger
1 Copper

Isilon 8 Simulator // Smart Connect // DNS Validation

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I just deployed a Windows 2012 R2 DC with running DNS Server on it and also a Isilon One FS 8 Cluster with 3 Nodes.

The Isilon is completely configured and i successfully have joined my Isilon into the my domain (labbuildr.local)

I already have created a new Host  (A Entry) for the SIP in the DNS. But I actually im a bit stuck at the point with the New Delegation on the DNS Server. When I want to add the DNS Name or IP of the Smart Connect Service, then the DNS Server tells me that "An unkown error occurred while validating the server". I am able to ping the SIP and also can do a nslookup from the DNS Server.

ISILON OUTPUT:

ID            Subnet     Gateway|Priority  Pools  SC Service

----------------------------------------------------------------------

groupnet0.subnet0 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.2.10|10   pool0  192.168.2.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DNS SERVER OUTPUT:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> nslookup sip.labbuildr.local

Server:  localhost

Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    sip.labbuildr.local

Address:  192.168.2.80

PS C:\Users\Administrator> ping sip.labbuildr.local

Pinging sip.labbuildr.local [192.168.2.80] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.80: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.2.80: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.2.80: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.2.80: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.80:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

To sum up my delegation is not working, because of the following error message on my DNS:

"An unkown error occurred while validating the server"

--> Is anybody familiar with that problem and can give me a hint or something ?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Steffen

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bang11
1 Nickel

Re: Isilon 8 Simulator // Smart Connect // DNS Validation

Jump to solution

In that case, it looks like to me that your SmartConnect config needs to be checked closely.

In the network configuration for IP address pools, do you have a zone named myisilon.labbuildr.local (should be the zone name that you are using)?

In nslookup, make sure the DNS server in use is the one that you have the DNS records for Isilon configured.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bang11
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

You need to create 2 DNS records on the DNS server: one as a host record for the SmartConnect service, and the other an NS delegation record for the name of your Isilon cluster (say, myisilon.labbuildr.local).

Based on your description, you have already set up the host record for the SmartConnect service: sip.labbuildr.local, 192.168.2.80

Now you need to check if the delegated domain for your cluster is in place, which should have the server fully qualified domain name point to your host record: sip.labbuildr.local

One way to verify the setup is to open nslookup, and repeat the following:

myisilon.labbuildr.local

It should resolve to the IP address of one of the Isilon nodes in your cluster provided that you configured the SmartConnect properly on the cluster.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
steffen_ger
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for you reply.

Jep, that's basically what I have done already. The issue begins while adding the name server (sip.labbuildr.local / 192.168.2.88) to the new delegation on the DNS-Server. After adding I get the mentioned error ("An unkown error occurred while validating the server").

The delegation is successfully in place on the DNS-Server, but not working correctly.

When i do a nslookup on myisilon.labbuildr.local the DNS-Server is not able to resolve it.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> nslookup myisilon.labbuildr.local

Server:  localhost

Address:  127.0.0.1

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to localhost timed-out

Best regards
Steffen

0 Kudos
Peter_Sero
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

What happens when ask the Isilon directly (from the Windows machine)?

PS C:\Users\Administrator> nslookup myisilon.labbuildr.local    192.168.2.80

Also, in the last message you typed 192.168.2.88, was that a typo or

did you change the address? In the latter case, flushing the DNS caches often does miracles...

hth

-- Peter

0 Kudos
bang11
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

In that case, it looks like to me that your SmartConnect config needs to be checked closely.

In the network configuration for IP address pools, do you have a zone named myisilon.labbuildr.local (should be the zone name that you are using)?

In nslookup, make sure the DNS server in use is the one that you have the DNS records for Isilon configured.

0 Kudos
steffen_ger
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

thank you very much for you support.

@bang11: you are totally right - the issue was because i initially named the smartconnect zone "isilon.labbuildr.local" and not "myisilon.labbuildr.local).

I also doublechecked the connection balancing (round-robin) and it now works perfectly

Thank you and have a great weekend.

regards

Steffen