This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 25th, 2013 21:00

Isilon Permission Issues in Mixed environment

Hi all,

I have a few questions on Isilon permissions in a Mixed environment and settings of ACLs

My environment has a tree structure for the files which are 6 to 7 layers deep.

EG: Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/Folder4/Folder5/Folder6/Data1

There is not data on any of the folders except the last folders on the tree. Data is residing only in the last folder i.e.the leaf in the tree structure. in our example data is only in Data1.

Folder6 i.e. the secondlast folder may have 4 to 6 folders with data in it. lets say Data1, Data2, Data3, Data4. (Data1 to Data 4 all are residing in Folder6 and all have data)

Folder 1 to Folder 6 have the following permissions all the way across: r-x r-x --x (user and group have read execute, others have read access)

Data1 to Data4 have the following permissions: rwxrwx--- (user and group have full access, others have no access)

I just want to retain these permissions when I create a NFS or a SMB share. Also If I create a new folder in Data1 it should have rwx rwx --- (same permissions as Data1)

I want to use only UNIX permissions as a base and do not want windows to do some funny thing with the permissions that are set on the folder that already resides on isilon. I am fine with only only the 9 bit POSIX permissions and want it to be that way.

Issues I am facing:

1) Windows tend to change the permissions on Data1 when I create a SMB share for Data1. it changes the permissions from rwx rwx --- to rwx rwx r-x

2) If I create a share for Folder2 using SMB and navigate through Folder3>> folder4 >> folder5 >> folder 6 >> Data1 >> and create a new folder here, the new folder has rwx --- --- as permissions, I want the permissions to be as the parent folder here i.e. rwx rwx ---.  The permission for group are discarded.(The settings  I have done on the protocol >> ACL tab are as in 'figure 1' attached here)

Linux permissions are working fine in this setting.

3) I made a few changes on the ACL page and Windows permissions were fine and the Linux permissions got messed up. (Figure 2) When I create a new folder in windows and checked the permissions on a linux box the permissions were as follows: rwx --- ---. (I want them to be rwx rwx ---)

Also I have a question: If the inheritance is turned off, from where will the newly created folder get its permissions from.

Thank you.

2 Attachments

No Responses!
No Events found!