Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 26th, 2016 08:00

Isilon SyncIQ to cloud?

Is there an Isilon-native way to make backups of Isilon data in the cloud (AWS/Google/Azure/Virtustream)?

I’m aware of Cloudpools, but that seems to be a tier for primary data to be migrated off-prem.  I’m looking for something akin to being able to make a SyncIQ copy, perhaps using IsilonSD Edge.  But I can’t find any solid info on the best methodology.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2016 12:00

Hi Enavarro,

We are definitely lacking 8.0.0.x specific documentation, to be honest. I am sure with time we'll be able to bridge the gap.

Yes, SyncIQ policies can be used for deep copy on cloud. obviously, things are not as simple as that.

I don't see much more than what you will find here:

https://support.emc.com/docu65068_OneFS-8.0.0-Web-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

On Page #449

SyncIQ interoperability

I guess the local Account/Sales Team would be able to demonstrate more on it.

Regards,

Dipan

39 Posts

July 27th, 2016 06:00

Hello Enavarro,

Admin guide 8.0  specifies that you can restore data from cloud you check for SyncIQ deep copy on pg 451.

As per guide it says

You can create a SyncIQ policy that restores full files rather than SmartLink files when copying data from the primary (source) cluster to a secondary (target) cluster. When you create a SyncIQ policy, you can modify the Deep Copy for CloudPools setting. The default setting is Deny, which means that, during a SyncIQ operation, SmartLink files are replicated to the target cluster. Alternatively, you can select either the Allow or Force option for deep copy. When you select Allow, SyncIQ still replicates SmartLink files to the target cluster unless there is a SmartLink version mismatch, in which case the full file data is retrieved from the cloud and replicated. When you specify Force for deep copy, CloudPools retrieves and copies full file data from the cloud for all SmartLink files affected by the SyncIQ policy, and replicates the full files to the target cluster.

I hope this give you and path to test out things. Also check features in SyncIQ deep copy.

Thanks

Chughh

17 Posts

July 27th, 2016 14:00

Thank you both for your replies.  However let me clarify - what I am asking is if it is possible to leverage SyncIQ to make a copy to a cloud target without having to copy to a second Isilon cluster.  My understanding is that the Deep Copy feature in Cloudpools refers to a SyncIQ operation between two Isilon clusters.  In my scenario I have a single Isilon cluster and I want to make a copy of the data in the cloud while still keeping the original data on the Isilon.  That is, I want to do a SyncIQ operation from the Isilon cluster directly to the cloud. I hope that makes things clearer.

Eddy

1.2K Posts

July 28th, 2016 01:00

Let's keep in mind that Cloudpool'ed files can ONLY be referenced

through the SmartLink stubs in a OneFS instance,

which means there cannot exist a real "deep" = self-contained copy

from an Isilon cluster into the cloud.

The closest you can get with a single Isilon cluster is the

single-cluster variant of your two-clusters concept:

Make use of the fact that SyncIQ can do incremental copies

from a cluster into another folder on the same cluster.

if your datasets grow or change slowly over time -- read: small increments --

then a two-phase (SyncIQ -> CloudPools)  approach on a

single cluster can be feasible.

Makes sense?

-- Peter

1.2K Posts

July 28th, 2016 02:00

Forgot.... of course the SmartLink stubs

should be backed up outside the cluster.

Any supported NDMP solution will do;

just a small backup capacity will be needed for the stubs.

-- Peter

57 Posts

July 28th, 2016 03:00

You are asking for isilonSd to run in cloud provider so you can syncIQ data directly to the cloud and make use of it there.

Only vmware Das host supported today but that would open up a lot of use cases to leverage Isilon data in the cloud

Andrew

No Events found!