Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2017 08:00

Isilon - Which node(s) are the master nodes?

Community,

Can someone please tell me how I will be to identify which nodes in the cluster are the master node(s)?  Is there a command that I can run the discover which node(s) these are?  Let me know.

Thank you,

450 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 09:00

There is no such thing as a "master node".  The only master/slave concept that really is applicable is which node is currently answering SmartConnect (DNS) Requests.  That node will always be the node with the lowest NodeID (not the lowest LNN) in a cluster that has an interface assigned in the correct subnet.  To understand the relationship between NodeID and LNN, run an "isi_config" -> "status advanced" -> "exit" the tables outputted will show you the LNN to nodeID relationship.

~Chris

356 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 11:00

Chris,

you mean run this command?

isi_nodes %{id} %{lnn}

14 4

15 5

16 6

17 7

So your saying that node 4 which has a NodeID of 14 is the DNS master for the cluster?

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Hi Chris Hunt,

In Isilon "scale-out" NAS, we don't have the notion of any "special" node when it comes to NAS operations.  No special snowflakes here.  But in very few instances, as matter of convenience, some simple decisions will be made by the lowest node ID (not LNN).

It might help us understand what you are trying to do.  If DNS related, then it's a different question.

356 Posts

December 7th, 2017 07:00

Also is there a way to move the master to another node while I reboot what use to be the master node?  Does the master node just automatically move to the node with the next lowest ID while the original master node reboots?  Let me know

356 Posts

December 7th, 2017 07:00

I was looking to know which node is the SmartConnect Master.  The node that answers for all smart connect request.

450 Posts

December 7th, 2017 11:00

The smart connect service can run on multiple nodes at once (if the cluster has multiple subnets), but in general it's going to be on the node with the lowest NodeID number that has an interface in the subnet in question.

No Events found!