Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2017 09:00

Isilon issue or Linux issue?

Mounting the CIFS share with cifs/acl and edit (just edit) the file in Linux, it changes the file permissions.

I think the permissions, are all maintained on the server, which is the Isilon in this case.

Appreciate any help on this

1.2K Posts

April 14th, 2017 07:00

I'd guess your Linux editor saves to a new file, aware only of UNIX permission bits,

and on success it deletes the original file and then renames the new one.

It thereby looses the ACL of the original file...

You can check wether a new file is created by tracking file's identity:

On the Isilon, check the LIN with

isi get filename

On the Linux client, check what is reported as "inode" number with

ls -i filename

In the unexpected case that the file's identity does NOT change

let us know; there might be some solution by configuring the Isilon

to ignore UNIX chmod on ACLs.

hth

-- Peter

252 Posts

April 14th, 2017 08:00

Hi HEagle18,

To start, you could check the settings on the ACL page in the WebUI. I am not sure what version of OneFS you are using to provide direction to that page. There are Admin Guides for each version of OneFS that would prove useful in navigating to and around it though. There is a setting there in which you can allow Dirs/Files with ACLs to be blown away or preserved.

If that doesn't help, I would recommend opening a case with Isilon Support so that they can gather the necessary details to assist in answering your question more thoroughly.

https://onlinesupport.emc.com/SRCreate

41 Posts

April 14th, 2017 10:00

Pete,

Thanks for the answer.. the real issue is this, trying to mount isilon cifs  on linux  it is  changing the user and group access to the file and the parent folder

41 Posts

April 14th, 2017 10:00

sjones, Thanks for your inputs. We use ONEFS 7.2.05, so if a Cifsacl mount is not able to preserve permission at Linux side, then we can tweak this parameters on Isilon Onefs side (according to the version). That is good thing especially when migrating from Netapp to Isilon right?

1 Message

April 24th, 2017 07:00

Was this ever resolved?  I have a customer experiencing this exact symptom.

41 Posts

October 18th, 2017 10:00

Yes, this was resolved by an inhouse solution. our Linux guy got around with this.

No Events found!