Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2015 12:00

Migrating Home directories from legacy NAS to Isilon

We don't have a single root /home share , all our users home directories are shares . We will need to migrate about 3000 shares of home directories to Isilon system without changing the structure and make it very  seamless . What is the best approach to get this done , is there a document for best practices ?

60 Posts

May 19th, 2015 12:00

Do the share names match the users Active Directory/Directory Services logon name? If so, you could use this as a great time to setup traditional home directories. If you migrate the shares under /ifs/home (or other designated directory), the users could then access their home directory using the traditional home directory share functionality. In addition, as new users come on board, the cluster can be configured to automatically create the users home folder.

As a result, you could create a single home directory share, which all the users can use to access their individual home directory compared with having to create 3000 unique shares.

Here is a general white paper on Isilon Home Directories

http://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h11152-isilon-home-directories-wp.pdf

95 Posts

May 19th, 2015 13:00

Users home dir matches their logon name in AD , our home dir shares are under the department shares , would that be a challenge to keep it as is during migration ? we would prefer not to change any thing and keep as is during the migration.

We will be cutting over the current NAS by changing the DNS names ( global cut over) .

May 20th, 2015 06:00

Although I'm not a Windows guy, I'd think that DFS would be a great way to tackle this...

95 Posts

May 20th, 2015 06:00

DFS is great totally agree but in our case we will be consolidating all the file services to NAS so stuck with CIFS.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 20th, 2015 07:00

Ed is referring to DFS as a way to "obscure" physical location of CIFS resources.  You can use DFS to present CIFS/SMB shares from multiple physical servers as one "name space". You don't have to use DFS replication or anything of that nature.

95 Posts

May 20th, 2015 08:00

I guess you are referring to creating a DFS name space by presenting volume from Isilon ? and use Isilon replication ?

No Events found!