Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

January 31st, 2020 20:00

NL400 - home usage - noise

Hi !

I just picked up a 36 bay NL400 off of ebay a month ago for home use.  Price was great and I needed to expand my storage.  Being 1/4 the price of a supermicro 36 bay unit, I was hoping I was going to be able to mod it to silence the jet-powered fans.  Not much success.

1) Keeping the CPUs cool proven to be a challenge 

2) Keeping the HDD's cool was an even bigger challenge

What I've done :

I've replaced the 3 mid fans with standard 120" PWM fans which kills the 3 incredibly noisy fans. Keeps the HDD's around 36'c (OK)

Replaced the passive heat sinks with active heat sinks (OK). Even put LGA1366 liquid cooling on it as I had them laying around (was hands down the best solution but no room for the radiators)

Next challenge is the power supplies. They run at 100% ALL THE TIME. I cannot get these silent (even with BIOS set to silent/energy savings)

I've tried finding replacement 36mm fans for the power supply.. nothing silent seems to exist on the market. 

I'm stuck. I've got a beautiful home theater cabinet, and this is tucked away out of sight in my sound proof room... I'd prefer showing off this beauty! But cannot.

Any ideas?

No Responses!
No Events found!