Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2013 00:00

NT Ownership Messed up on a Islion!!!!

Migrated from Celerra to Islion, every time a Windows 2008 Server user is created.  The user can not access his or her profile (error User profile service failed the logon , user profile cannot be loaded)  The default Owner to the profile seems to be now Unix\Root.

How is this resolved ?

Taking ownership on a Islion is hit and miss.

November 21st, 2013 13:00

Hello,

I have about 5 quesitons and one test proceedue if your willing to test it to fix your issue:

1. how was the data migrated to Isilon From Celerra?
    1. was there unix and windows data in the migration?
    2. did they use rsync, emcopy, or robocopy?
    3. did they use IVCVNX?
  2. What is the explicit path of data that is giving you issues?
  3. Can we get CLI outputs for explicit files and Directories from the Explicit Path in question?
  4. What has been tested thus-far and what were the expected results plus what did you get? ( explicit examples please )
  5. Have you performed a Domain merge or Collapse while on the Celerra pre-migraiton?
    1. if so was sid_history purged?
    2. if not what is the number of objects brought forward from the old Ad architecture?
  6. Test Scenario I would like run to confirm what I already suspect is your issue.
    1. ssh to the Isilon (any node will be sufficient)
      1. cd ifs
      2. ls -led (save output)
      3. ls -lend (save output)
    2. mkdir testing
      1. cd testing
      2. ls -led (save output)
      3. ls -lend (save output)
      4. chmod -b 777
      5. repeat steps 5.B.b and 5.B.c
    3. Make a new share
      1. Utilize the GUI as it is closest to windows admin api for /ifs/testing
      2. before committing the Share make sure the radial button labeled APPLY DEFAULT ACL is NOT Selected
    4. Testing the access
      1. From ssh to an isilon node Repeat testing listed in 5.B.b and 5.B.c schedule
      2. create a file or folder in the testing directory from a windows host (save result)
      3. repeat step 5.D.a after a successful or unsuccessful execution (save result)
    5. Other manual Options would be to set a admin group to have recursive rights and utilize that group to set permissions from windows explorer.
      1. chmod -R +a group 'dir_gen_all,std_write_dac,delete_child,object_inherit,container_inherit,inherit_only /ifs/testing'
    6. Ability to Set explicit ACL's & Validate the inheritance; again and ls -lend on anything you plan on posting back to the forum
    7. Repeat testing steps if desired in directories where your having issues since it is hit or miss it may be a simple fix of how to export via GUI else it sould prove to be inherent ACL
    8. Repost Results to the Forum

132 Posts

November 21st, 2013 00:00

Are you using the auto home directory feature?  Which version of OneFS?

In regards to the Take Ownership.  You need to have the Run As Root privilege for the user/group accessing the share to Take Ownership.  The Isilon currently does not honor the Take Ownership ACE.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 21st, 2013 01:00

You may not have the most current version of OneFS even though it was only installed in the last few months, a lot of clusters where being specifically built with 6.5.14 on there.  It would be worth knowing what version of OneFS you are running.

As far as I am aware however there is no plan to allow windows to do all the management of an Isilon.

Why does it matter about the version of One FS, and how would this affect ownership

For the amount of money paided for this, Why cant manage Shares from Windows OS.  I am using Windows to create the users.  We have only had this installed in the last couple of months so we should have a current version of OneFS.

Are there plans to fix the manage of Islion to be able manage the filesystem with the most popular operating system on the planet ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Changes and updates are made in each version of OneFS and things are added, these can be anything from Isilon internal changes to features around interaction with Windows and other OS.  So the version of OneFS you are using makes a difference to the behavior you may see on the interaction between Windows and Isilon.

November 21st, 2013 03:00

Could you approach R and D and put a request that another user requires, proper intergration windows os , so I can use the Windows NTFS as they are supposed to be used.

No Events found!