Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 27th, 2013 07:00

OneFS7 and NDMP-backup using TSM

Hello,

is anyone aware, if we can use the IBM TSM-functionality "Progressive Incremental/Incremental Forever" with Isilon OneFS7?

I've found a document stating "token-based incremental backups" are supported. But I cannot find an Information, that this works with TSM and how to implement it.

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks,

Daniel

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 11:00

Having run into this a few times, it is often directed at a change that must be made on the OneFS cluster.

In actual fact very little has to be done to OneFS to make this work, rather it is mostly in the definition of the node in TSM.

Different versions of TSM had different capabilities so make sure you review the appropriate TSM documentation for your version.

1.2K Posts

September 15th, 2013 06:00

> I've found a document stating "token-based incremental backups" are supported. But I cannot find an Information, that this works with TSM and how to implement it.

As Robert has pointed out, technically that's pretty easy from the Isilon side.

BUT how could TSM or any other backup app

deal with the retention or expiry of the backups??

Wether the app gets info about deleted files or not with each incremental pass,

how would it be able to remove expired files from past dumps?

You need to keep all dumps from the beginning of time...

Isilon uses a modified 'tar'  for the dumps, but that should be

considered opaque -- this is how NDMP was designed to work.

Just doing the transport, no insight into the archive format.

If someone is aware of an insightful NDMP backup system

for Isilon, any pointers are highly welcome!

-- Peter

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 15th, 2013 07:00

DaSt wrote:

Hello,

is anyone aware, if we can use the IBM TSM-functionality "Progressive Incremental/Incremental Forever" with Isilon OneFS7?

are you sure that applies to NDMP backups ? I believe it only applies to regular TSM client backups, not NDMP. With NDMP you have full and differential.

No Events found!