Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2016 05:00

Output of "isi smb sessions/openfiles list" Access Zone aware?

Hi all,

today I am wondering about the CLI output of the 'isi smb sessions list' and 'isi smb openfiles list' commands on OneFS 8.0.0.2.

Although there are some open SMB connections with Windows clients copying files to/from the cluster, the list of open files or open sessions is always empty.

I made some further investigation to that topic. It seems that these commands are only related to the System Zone, not to all other Access Zones. When I have mounted the cluster through the System Zone I can see the SMB session and open files. But when I mount the cluster through another than the System Zone I cannot see SMB session or open files.

Does anyone figured out the same issue?

Phil

1.2K Posts

December 8th, 2016 06:00

> But when I mount the cluster through another than the System Zone I cannot see SMB session or open files.

Any chance those mounts landed on a different node, and

the isi smb sessions and openfiles commands are just local to

the node where issued?

-- Peter

107 Posts

December 8th, 2016 06:00

I used isi_for_array....

So I suppose, I would see all sessions and openfiles.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2017 10:00

I also have this problem on 8.0.0.2 and now 8.0.0.4.

No files are displayed via the CLI. Using the MMC plugin only shows the file opened on the node to show open files.

One reason I could think of this happening is that it is only showing the default zone, System. So in isi smb sessions list, I can see a couple sessions that are opened in the System zone, but none in the other zones. However, you can't specify zone in isi smb openfiles or sessions commands.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2017 12:00

Workaround provided by support until they can fix the non-zone-aware nature of isi smb.

isi_run -z 2 isi_classic smb file list | less

(2 is the relevant zone in our case, pipe to less to give you chance to read the output)

Or for searching across the cluster:

isi_for_array 'isi_run -z 2 isi_classic smb file list | grep partoffilename'

254 Posts

February 17th, 2017 12:00

As I don't see a --zone flag on the command, I would not expect it to be zone aware.  It is tied to the local node and, as was states earlier, isi_for_array is a way around that on the CLI.

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

Has anyone gotten a fix for this yet? The isi_for_array 'isi_classic -z smb file list| grep ' command doesn't list the ID so there is no way to close the file if you find it.

Running it without grep gives you file IDs but that will list everything which is also not helpful.

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 09:00

I found another solution to this issue.

I was able to access each node from Computer Management on a Windows system using the IP we assigned it for the SMB access zone. From there I was able to look at open files on that node and close them if needed.

300 Posts

May 4th, 2017 02:00

you can use the "B" option on grep to show the line(s) before the match.

isi_for_array 'isi_classic -z smb file list | grep -B1' shows you the path of the file an the ID.

if you want to see who is using the file you can also add the -A1 (after) option to the the lines after the match.

The number behind the option defines the number of lines to show.

Rgds

-- sluetze

254 Posts

August 24th, 2017 10:00

If you upgrade to 8.0.0.5, the isi smb openfilles and isi smb sessions command will show all zones like they did prior to 8.x.  This was a bug.  At some point a --zone flag may be added, but this is the short-term fix to get the command working again.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2017 11:00

We are running version 8.0.0.4 and have multiple zones as well.

The command above seems to be deprecated.

<isi_for_array 'isi_classic -z smb file list | grep -B1'>

Is there an updated command for 8.0.0.4?   I don't see a "-z" option and it errors.

18 Posts

September 12th, 2017 10:00

you missed the isi_run in the command.  Here's the correct command:

isi_for_array 'isi_run -z   isi_classic smb file list | grep -I " -B1'

2 Posts

September 13th, 2017 07:00

AHHH!!!    Thank you so much!  That worked.

Have a great day!!!

18 Posts

September 13th, 2017 09:00

You're welcome. 

107 Posts

November 9th, 2017 00:00

Good news, the issue should be fixed in OneFS 8.0.1.2:

If a client ran the "isi smb sessions list" command, OneFS would not include nonsystem

zone sessions in the output. If this issue occurred, clients were unable to

properly manage all SMB sessions on their cluster.

No Events found!