Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

4 Posts

April 30th, 2020 04:00

Read Only Directory?

Hi All, 

I will begin a data migration for a cluster that has shares available via SMB and NFS.

Is there a way to make the share into read-only without touching NFS or SMB permissions?

I need permissions to stay in tact for migration. 

I was thinking of something similar to what SyncIQ does, without necessarily using SyncIQ.

How can I enable and disable that read-only state?

thanks!

4 Posts

April 30th, 2020 04:00

Looking for an answer, I stumbled upon this.

This is the opposite of what I want. 

How would I be able to set that read-only attribute on a directory?

• 

6.9K Posts

April 30th, 2020 16:00

Hello bryant132,

I am not seeing any other way other than using SyncIQ to have the directory read only.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

May 12th, 2020 16:00

@DELL-Sam L 

Problem is that I cannot set the source and target destination to the same. 

Therefore, is there any way I can manually set the lock on a specific directory and its subfolders and files. 

The reason being is that I need to lock it (or make it entirely read only) so that users cannot continue to save data/files there as it is no longer their main storage area. However, I cannot yet touch ACLs as I need them for data migration purposes to assign on new file system.

I mean, I wouldn't mind denying full control to everyone at top level, but inheritance will allow explicit allow permissions at some levels. 

1.2K Posts

May 13th, 2020 09:00

@bryant132 

with OneFS you can restrict access at the NFS export or SMB share protocol level, without touching the permissions in the actual file system.

For read-only permissions with NFS, the syntax is quite straightforward:

isi nfs exports modify ID_OF_YOUR_EXPORT --read-only true

Same with an SMB share requires a bit more digging into the syntax of the "isi smb" command:

isi smb shares permission modify NAME_OF_YOUR_SHARE --wellknown Everyone --permission-type allow --permission read

hth

-- Peter

June 19th, 2020 21:00

Peter, thanks for your commands for making SMB Share and NFS Share Read-Only. Is there a similar command to just make a directory RO as well (Directory is part of a share but don't want to make the entire Share RO)

1.2K Posts

June 29th, 2020 06:00

Not as such.

If you are willing to think far outside the box, you could try leveraging snapshots, which are readonly by design in OneFS.

take a snapshot

rename the subdir in question to subdir.NOACCESS and remove all permissions on the folder level. 

"re-introduce" the subdir as a symbolic link to the instance of the subdir within the snapshot folder.

hth

-- Peter

36 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 12:00

It's a licensed feature but I believe that the OneFS SmartLock feature offers the functionality you are asking about?

No Events found!