Start a Conversation

Unsolved

VP

2 Posts

March 4th, 2020 22:00

SMB share for all compluter in same network

Hi, I am running isilon simulator 8.2 in vmware workstation pro 14. My network configuration for a cluster

int-a:192.168.6.130 to 192.168.6.140 (Vmnet1 - Host-only)

int-b:Not set

ext-1:192.168.72.130 to 192.168.72.140  (Vmnet8 - NAT)

I created a folder in isilon file explorer and shared it in SMB share throw web interface.While I typed "\\192.168.72.130" in run prompt on host machine,I can get that shared folder in my windows file explorer.when I typed the same ip address in another computer (connected in same network ) ,I can't get that shared folder even though I changed Vmnet8 to Bridge property.

I need to get the shared folder in all computer connected by same network. How can I do that? 

1.2K Posts

March 5th, 2020 05:00

Most likely the address 192.168.72.130  does not fit in the IP range of your local network. With a bridged network the VM appears as if directly connected and therefor must us an IP and netmask appropriate for the local network. As you can't use DHCP for an Isilon VM, ask your network admin for a static IP to use.

Alternatively you could stay with NAT and experiment with port forwarding, but this is known to be tricky with NFS v3 -- it might not be possible with Workstation.

hth

-- Peter

March 5th, 2020 22:00

Thank you for replying.

I am new to networks. I want to store a file in isilon and all computer in my domain should access that file. I don't need to run isilon in all computers it should be hosting in only one computer.How can I do that.You previously told that I can do this with port forwarding. Can you explain  me step by step please .

1.2K Posts

March 13th, 2020 06:00

Port forwarding for NFS in non-trivial even for experts because of the use of the so-called portmapper. If this is an educational project, team up with a local network wizard and be prepared for a hard challenge with some good chance to fail in the Workstation environment.

Frankly, plan A is highly recommend: get a proper IP address and configure the virtual Isilon as regular machine on the local network. Depending on the local policies (and their enforcement you might even find yourself already in possession of a usable IP address... like from a currently "unused" computer or the like.

-- Peter

No Events found!