Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 08:00

SmartConnect in 2 VLANs

Our ISILON is set with two VLANS - 226 and 227. The smartconnect is configured, the DNS record aswell and it does load-balance in 192.168.26.0 network. (vlan 226)

The problem is that when pinged from VLAN 227 the smartconnect responds with the VLAN 226 addresses. And here I'm confused what kind of records I need to have in order to have load balancing with addresses from the 192.168.27.0 network.

For vlan 226 I created A record pointing to the SmartConnect service IP. From there I created delegation for that record with the name of the smart connect zone. Now, do I need to do the same in order to have it working with vlan 227 addresses? And if so, do I have to create the record and delegation with different names?

Cheers

Z

1.2K Posts

February 9th, 2018 06:00

Within each subnet/vlan, create at least one address pool and give it a

name to be used with SmartConnect:

name1.isiloncluster.example.com  - first subnet/vlan

name2.isiloncluster.example.com  - second subnet/vlan

recommended read for SmartConnect:

https://support.emc.com/docu58740_Isilon-External-Network-Connectivity-Guide---Routing,-Network-Topologies,-and-Best-Practices-for-SmartConnect.pdf?language=en_US

hth

-- Peter

11 Posts

February 9th, 2018 06:00

Hi Peter. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

So far both pools are with same name - emc.domain.ltd

If I understand correctly if i set the name to the second (for vlan227) to say, emc2.domain.ltd and then create the appropriate DNS records everything should be working. Is that right?

450 Posts

February 12th, 2018 09:00

Both pools cannot have the same name. 

Think of the hierarchy in this way:

GroupNet

Subnet

Pool      

Where:

A GroupNet is a unique set of DNS servers for a tenant.

A Subnet is where a VLAN tag is applied, so 10.1.2.0/24 vlan120

A Pool is a range of IP addresses with a particular allocation method selected (static or dynamic), based upon how the clients will connect.  A pool is what gets a smart connect zone name.

So because, by-definition a different VLAN will be a different subnet, and a pool will be a component of that subnet, which is where the name is assigned, it's impossible to have the same name in 2 subnets at the same time.

Make Sense?

~Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

11 Posts

February 13th, 2018 03:00

Hi guys.

I made the corrections. For vlan227 I've made emc2.domain.ltd record + delegation and now it load balances properly when I ping that zone.

The OneFS is reporting this problem though:

AD server missing needed SPN(s) HOST/emc2, HOST/emc2.wwfx.co.uk; try 'isi auth ads spn check'

isi auth ads spn check reports No missing SPNs found.

I've also tried isi auth ads spn fix which seems to have no effect at all.

11 Posts

February 13th, 2018 06:00

Nevermind. Added them manually and it no longer reports errors.

34 Posts

February 13th, 2018 07:00

If your getting SPN errors you can always do the following "isi_cbind flush" and this will clean up the SPN issues and have it fresh and clean.

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 01:00

the link is invalid, could you update the link?

Thank you

• 

6.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2021 09:00

Hello RHCENCDA,

Here is the link to the newer guide that is used.

https://dell.to/2NQfycR

No Events found!