Jump to solution

great, thank you Shane

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bhakti1
1 Nickel

Re: Smartquotas on home drive

Jump to solution

Dynamox why did you choose directory quota over user ? From the pros and cons of both, I feel user quotas does everything that directory quotas does plus it's automated. Just curious to know the reasons behind going for user quotas.

Bhakti Vora

Phone: 646-447-4752

Cell : 646-734-2887

Server and Storage Engineering Department

Alternate Contact: SSEngineering@emblemhealth.com

Information Systems – Technology

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

two reasons for my shop:

1) Users map one network drive, one the root of that drive you have different department folders as well as another subfolder that contains home directories. Department folders have no restrictions, while home folders do.

2) Deskside support team always modifies (incorrectly) folder ownership which would break user quotas.

0 Kudos
Bhakti1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So when we apply user quotas let's say under /ifs/home where all user folders reside, it also accounts for files owned by an user under /ifs/data too?

Bhakti Vora

Phone: 646-447-4752

Cell : 646-734-2887

Server and Storage Engineering Department

Alternate Contact: SSEngineering@emblemhealth.com

Information Systems – Technology

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

i don't think so, if you use home directory feature , users would be placed under /ifs/home/. I have many departments and did not want to lump all users in my organization under /ifs/home/.

0 Kudos
Stdekart
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Bhakti,

If you set the default user quota on /ifs/home, then only files and folder in that directory will count against the users quota.

If you were to set it on simply /ifs it would account for every file in the file system both /ifs/data and /ifs/home plus what ever other directories are in /ifs.

Default user quotas will only traverse down the directory tree not back up, so make sure you set the correct root path for where you would like the default user quota applied.

0 Kudos