Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2013 06:00

Why cant I apply Windows NTFS Permissions to Folder - Help

I get access deny error when I try to apply ntfs permissions to a Windows 2008 R2 Server Folder on a Islion.

What can I apply or use to fix the problem

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 4th, 2013 07:00

are you trying to set permissions on an Isilon share from Windows 2008 R2 server ? Can you change permissions from another OS while being logged-in as the same user as Windows 2008 R2 server ?  Make sure share permissions are set to allow you to do that (need Full control), not just folder ACLs.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 4th, 2013 13:00

take ownership and fix folder ACLs, if you can't do it from windows explorer you can always do it from cli

chown -R -s myactivedirectoryname\\myusername   (notice two back slash)

this will recursively change file/directory ownership.

I will try this tomorrow, but I would prefer if I could do this from Windows O/S what could be stopping it,

That doesnt work , the problem is the top of the tree has security permissions.  But some point during the copy it lost  its security , when try to apply security , it come up with " Retry or cancel" when its applying security permissions.

Users cant work because of this Islion

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 4th, 2013 14:00

you are marking your own reply as helpful ? haha

look at permissions of top level directory, you must be inheriting ACLs that prohibit you from modifying child directory ACLs. YOu can use ls -led "directory_name> to list current ACLs.

No Events found!