Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2014 12:00

how to run a file pool policy manually

Hi, is there a way to run only one specific file pool policy manually?

I know I can wait for SmartPools job that is schedule to run at 10PM daily (at our site) and will eventually run my new policy along with other existing policies but I really don't want to wait 24 hours to see if my new policy is working fine or not.

Any ideas?

76 Posts

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Take a look at KB 16435: OneFS 6.0 and later: How to test your file pool policy before running a full SmartPools job

This KB details the isi smartpools apply command and how it can be used to make sure your policy is working.

76 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 10:00

Sadly, no, you can't just run SmartPools jobs for only one file pool policy.  The job itself has to walk the entire filesystem, evaluating every file and directory, and the design of the job (currently) is to run through the entire policy set.  There's no way to tell the job to only work on a specific directory, or a specific policy.  Some policies I've created in the past work all within the same directory structure, so they'd need to be evaluated in order, and completely, anyway.

This would be a nice feature to have, specifically if you just wanted to use SmartPools to move only the data in one directory between pools, or to quickly make sure that snapshot data for one pool was migrated to another (without having to walk the rest of the filesystem).

9 Posts

Hi Bernie,

Good info on how to test config without running the job.  However, is there a way to actually *run* smartpool job for only one specific policy?

thx

9 Posts

thanks for the explanation.

1.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 15:00

Wait a moment...

isi smartpools apply ... (without -n)

actually will apply the policies to the given folder; while -n is for just "testing".

And you might want to use -r for recursively traversing the whole subtree.

It has been very useful over here for ad hoc enabling SSD metadata acceleration on individual shares.

What you can't do is applying a single policy (unless you effectively disable other policies for the moment.)

Cheers

-- Peter

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hey Peter,

and how do I disable other policies?  I was told that 'disable' actually mean 'destroy' which obviously I cann't do.

1.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 21:00

Sure, I tried to be careful and said "effectively", because there is no simple way.

Obviously the following will work, but you will need to judge wether

it is appropriate in your situation or not:

Add your "test rule" at the top of the rule list, and

add a dummy rule at position two, matching everything (like "path starts with /ifs/data"),

but doing nothing (all checkmarks off),

and enable "stop processing if matched" for rule two.

This will mask out all the other rules...

Cheers

-- Peter

9 Posts

January 24th, 2014 05:00

Awesome, that will do it.

Thanks a lot!

No Events found!