Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2017 05:00

isilon management network on Gen6

hello,

According to generation-6-Installation guide , there a 1GB management port and 2 10GBs external ports (+ 2 internal port).

how do setup the IPv4 for the management port ?.

I want an IP on the management port with different Vlan and IP adress and subnet than the client access.

Thanks for your help

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

December 19th, 2017 13:00

ThePierre2

In WebUI, go to the Cluster Management->Network Configuration-> groupnet0 (any groupnet)->subnet0 (any subnet)-> More->Add Pool. Add an IP range and pick mgmt-1 from each LNN/node to add to pool.

Phil

1.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 07:00

interface is common which is used for GUI/CLI as well as other non-data communications such as DNS/NTP/AD.

only CIFS/NFS will use 10g interfaces to communicate.

25 Posts

December 20th, 2017 07:00

Hi Phil!

The interfaces "mgmt-1" can be used only to access WebUI and CLI, correct?

All other connections (DNS, NTP, AD, etc) must be througth the external (ext-1 and ext-2) interfaces. Correct?

I did not find any document that refers the mgmt-1 interfaces. :-(

Thank you!

254 Posts

December 20th, 2017 08:00

This interface can be used for data (NFS/SMB) if you choose to make it available to users for this. There is not enforced restrictions today.

25 Posts

December 20th, 2017 08:00

Do you have or know any document that have any reference about that?

Thanks in advance!!!

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

December 20th, 2017 10:00

ThePierre2,

AdamFox is correct.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2017 01:00

thanks for your answer

if I understand correctly I will find as external interface mgmt-1, 10gige-1 10gige-2

I can set mgmt-1 for webgui, cli, esrs access  and 10gige-x for client access

the ip address for mgmt-1 has to be setup first by serial interface then optionnaly in the webgui (so no default adress at shipping)

then I can configure subnet and pool for agreggation, cifs and nfs access

is this correct ?

1 Rookie

• 

567 Posts

December 21st, 2017 10:00

ThePierre2,

if I understand correctly I will find as external interface mgmt-1, 10gige-1 10gige-2

Phil Lam> yes

I can set mgmt-1 for webgui, cli, esrs access  and 10gige-x for client access

Phil Lam> client can can access SMB & NFS via mgmt-1

the ip address for mgmt-1 has to be setup first by serial interface then optionnaly in the webgui (so no default adress at shipping)

Phil Lam> I've only seen mgmt-1 available thru CLI & WebUI after cluster has been setup via serial (haven't seen it on serial setup)

then I can configure subnet and pool for agreggation, cifs and nfs access

Phil Lam> yes

10 Posts

September 26th, 2019 23:00

KB#524637 "{Isilon} Gen 6: The bge0 (MGMT) interface should be used for SSH only." states as follows:

The 1G MGMT interface on Generation 6 hardware is designed to handle ssh traffic. It does not support TSO (TCP Segmentation Offload). This can cause the interface to flap when exposed to a moderate to heavy workload.

This means mgmt-1 can be used only for CLI.

No Events found!