Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2013 13:00

sharedup from VNX to Isilon migration?

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to use sharedup utility to copy shares from a VNX or Celerra CIFS server to an Isilon to recreate shares.  Did it work?  Any issues?

127 Posts

April 16th, 2013 12:00

I have used sharedup to duplicate shares from Celerra to Isilon (7.0.3) and it recreated the shares on Isilon. The shares on the isilon did not work for me initially as I have specified a wrong folder path prefix in the sharedup command. So even with wrong path name, the share gets creates in Isilon ( It does n;t care whether path exists or not). Deleted the shares and mentioned the correct path using sharedup and then it worked fine. But the lgdup did not work for me.

Got it.  Good to know.  Did you just use any one of the node IPs or smartconnect name?

306 Posts

We've just stood up our Isilon Arrays.  I'm curious about the Local groups (as you mentioned with LGDUPE).   Am I safe in assuming there are no Local groups that can be used to put Global groups into from our Windows AD?

127 Posts

April 16th, 2013 13:00

I have used smartconnect zone name aka cifs server name for sharedup.

Working with groups on Isilon array was really difficult ( to me) as the users/groups option was disabled in MMC. After joining the isilon Cluster name to AD, AD administrator wanted to give us (storage admin users group) the administrative privilege of the cifs server and there was no option in isilon GUI to add a specific group from the AD groups and add it to the local administrative group. It was not possible from the AD object also. Finally had to go with CLI to add it.

# isi auth groups view --group=CORP\\Storage_Local_Admins  --> get SID from this

# isi auth groups modify  --zone=System --add-sid=S-1-5-21-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX --group=Administrators

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 02:00

Hi Guys

I am also trying to copy the shares from VNX to isilon using Sharedup

but isilon doesn't have the cifs server on C drive like the VNX , so when I use the same command that I used for VNX to get the shares output , the sharedup can't find any shares on isilon

I am using the following command (hoshare is the smartConnect Zone name)

C:\Sharedup>sharedup.exe \\hoshare \\drshare ALL /R /SD /FO:C:\Sharedup\shares.out /LOG+:C:\Sharedup\SharedupLog.txt

SHAREDUP 02.04

Copyright (C) 2008-2010, All Rights Reserved,

by EMC Corporation, Hopkinton MA.

Source server:HOSHARE         6.1 Isilon Server

Target server:DRSHARE         6.1 Isilon Server

SHAREDUP source:HOSHARE              target:DRSHARE

Summary results:

No share found on server HOSHARE.

Log file: C:\Sharedup\SharedupLog.txt

But it is working fine on VNX

C:\Sharedup>sharedup.exe \\share \\hoshare c: /R /SD /FO:C:\Sharedup\shares.out

/LOG+:C:\Sharedup\SharedupLog.txt

SHAREDUP 02.04

Copyright (C) 2008-2010, All Rights Reserved,

by EMC Corporation, Hopkinton MA.

Source server:SHARE           5.0 EMC-SNAS:T6.0.71.4

Target server:HOSHARE         6.1 Isilon Server

SHAREDUP source:SHARE                target:HOSHARE

Summary results:

Amount of share(s) stored in file C:\Sharedup\shares.out: 40

Log file: C:\Sharedup\SharedupLog.txt

any idea how to get the shares out put from isilon ?

what is the correct command for that ?

450 Posts

April 5th, 2016 07:00

Mohammed,

A few things:

1. Sharedup will not succeed with the command if there are any local users and groups in Share ACLs on the source CIFS Server.  This is because Isilon has not implemented the MSRPC calls to support enumeration of local users and groups, so sharedup will try and translate sourcecifs\group5 to isiloncluster\group5, and when trying to get the SID for 'group5' on isiloncluster it will fail.  lgdup won't work for the same reason.

2. The target path must be: C:\onefs\... which is equivalent to /ifs/...

3. Be careful with your directory layout read page 23 here:

https://support.emc.com/docu58740_Isilon-External-Network-Connectivity-Guide---Routing,-Network-Topologies,-and-Best-Practices-for-SmartConnect.pdf

In the end if all else fails, you can just do a server_export command on the source, pull that text into excel, and then use concatenate and some other text tools to manipulate it into an 'isi smb share create' command:Capture.PNG.png

The other alternative is of course that you can use a third-party migration solution to do the data copy and automatic share creation.  This would be something like Dobiminer from DataDobi (for example, there are others in the market), who would use Isilon's Platform API rather than MSRPC calls to create the shares on Isilon automatically.  If this is of interest to you, talk to your account team, and they could arrange a demo.

Hope this helps,

~Chris Klosterman

Advisory Solution Architect

EMC Enablement Team

chris.klosterman@emc.com

6 Posts

January 13th, 2018 04:00

Would /IP4700 option resolve the local groups and users issue? It worked for me

No Events found!