Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2015 14:00

synciq failback time - domain mark

Hi,

I'm performing a DR test with SyncIQ and I would like to estimate how long the failback is going to take.

To my understanding, when doing the resync-prep (to create the mirror policy) on the source, the synciq path on the source for that policy has to be  "domain marked" in order to set that path to RO. This is what makes the failback a long process if there are many files.

Can someone confirm this is the way it works? if so ... any idea how long a failback could take?

Thanks!

122 Posts

April 8th, 2015 11:00

Hello,

Resync-prep takes time depending upon data in the policy.  Also you can check /var/log/isi_migrate.log  to check when resync-prep complete successfully. if its stuck and you do not see any progress I would recommend to open a support ticket to look into it.

Thanks

Hemant

79 Posts

September 5th, 2017 13:00

Hermant,

We recently did this and we noticed mv command on the cluster failing on domain marked directories.

isilon-12-sim-1# mv dan_dir /ifs/data/sim-12/sim-smb/sim-group/sim-dantest

mv: rename dan_dir to /ifs/data/sim-12/sim-smb/sim-group/sim-dantest/dan_dir: Numerical argument out of domain

isilon-12-sim-1#

is this an expected behavior on domain marking? The mv command still works on unmarked paths and we usually use that to move data around on the cluster.

-Dan

18 Posts

September 12th, 2017 09:00

I did the failover and failback using Superna Eyeglass though.  But it is using all the Isilon commands.  It is recommended to run the Domain Mark job ahead before failing over or back to make the it faster.    The domain mark job is the one taking the longest time.  That is why it is highly recommended to run it prior.

1.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 07:00

from 8.0.0.4 onwards there is one option named Accelerated Failback in the policy setting. This would take away the need to run it prior.

18 Posts

September 14th, 2017 08:00

Good to know.  Does the Accelerated Failback setting apply on the Failover as well?

79 Posts

September 14th, 2017 10:00

But the issue I am facing now is once the domainmark is set on the path, you can't run mv command in and out of that directory. I just found out it is an expected behavior of domainmarking.

1.2K Posts

September 15th, 2017 03:00

You can move files out of a SyncIQ source domain, but not directories or full hierarchies:

mv  /ifs/mydomain/*.dat   /ifs/somewhere/else

Might help as a last resort in certain situations.

fwiw

-- Peter

No Events found!