Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 05:00

1-TB RAID 0 on XPS M2010

Hi, all!

Noob here on the Dell forums.

I want to ask if anyone out there has tried installing two 500-GB hard drives on an XPS M2010 and linked them in RAID 0 for a total of 1 terabyte storage.  I plan to do this on my M2010, but I want to know first if this is at all possible for this model of laptop before I buy the components (actually, except for the hard drives themselves, I already have all components -- cables, caddy and all).  Are there any limits set by the BIOS or hard drive controllers or anything else on the laptop that might prohibit this?

Thanks!

22 Posts

December 12th, 2009 02:00

crc2 Good Morning from Robin Hood territory - cloudy Nottinghamshire.

32bit v. 64bit on XPS M2010 - Have gone - Start\ Control Panel \ Performance & Tools\ View & print (Win 7 platform). The resulting report daoes state that my X86 is 64 bit compliant.

PS I also have the Crucial 4 gb ram (isn't the Crucial 'examine the ram of your pc' software v. helpful in buying the correct type of ram?).

22 Posts

December 12th, 2009 03:00

***   ACPI\Del8010 PROBLEM SOLVED (possibly) -  or at least explained   ***

In Dell Downloads XPS M2010 Vista 32 bit operating system R142181 Bluetooth driver is available.

In Dell Downloads  XPS M2010 Vista 64 bit operating system no Bluetooth driver is available.

If R142181 is downloaded onto your pc and unzipped it becomes c:\Dell\Drivers\R142181

If you examine c:\Dell\Drivers\R142181 it contains folder \BT350A00 within which are 2 sub folders \32bit and \64bit

If you are installing in Window 7 32 bit and run R142181, it will automatically install from the c:\Dell\Drivers\R142181\BT350A00\32bit folder - THIS FOLDER CONTAINS THE INSTALL OF DellFn.sys which IS the driver needed to run ACPIDel8010 into becoming a system device of ACPI Function Key Handler.

If you are installing in Windows 7 64 bit and run R142181, it will automatically install from the c:\Dell\Drivers\R142181\BT350A00\64bit folder - THIS FOLDER DOES NOT CONTAIN THE INSTALL OF DellFn.sys so ACPI Function Key Handler will not be set up.

Could someone running 64 bit Windows 7 try updating their 'Unknown Device' ACPIDel8010 driver software by manually browsing through to c:\Dell\Drivers\R142181\BT350A00\32bit folder and see if it loads the DellFn.sys file ??

Please note that my step-by-step guide on installing Windows 7 32 bit shown a few posts before this one DOES include the install of R142181 as a second, therefore 'on top', bluetooth driver. This is probably why I managed to get full Function key operation.

92 Posts

December 12th, 2009 05:00

Another small step for Mankind, and all that eh? I have to ask now whether (or not) your premium XPS only utilsed 3.25Bg out of the 4.0Gb available? Another wee question mark falls upon what one pays a premium price for?

I see there is some new hot news come in so catch up soon. Thanks.

4.6K Posts

December 12th, 2009 06:00

Greetings from sunny Chester :emotion-3: :emotion-2:

I have to ask now whether (or not) your premium XPS only utilsed 3.25Bg out of the 4.0Gb available?

Another wee question mark falls upon what one pays a premium price for?

It's nothing to do with the laptop model.  It's actually a limitation of 32bit OS's. 

Subsequently, any/all systems - from any/all manufacturers, have the same problem.

The only way around it, is to use a 64bit OS - which can use all of the RAM installed  :emotion-5:

22 Posts

December 12th, 2009 07:00

What The Real Fireblade says is correct, BUT, it can also be dependent on the version of Windows 7

Follow this link for 64 bit Ram maximums

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4254

In my 32 bit OS, like you crc2, only 3.25gb is 'usable'.

92 Posts

December 13th, 2009 00:00

Good morning from a Glum Gloucester today. Unlike the weather however, it seems we have cracked most of the (DELL XPS M2010 -vs- windows 7 upgrade) nuts. :emotion-1:

I have now ugraded my FT offering, to version 2 now available for downloading. Any problems let me know.

http://northernlights.me.uk/Dell XPS M2010 reinstall2.doc

This runs on from where the earlier left off  and focusses on the two main stumbling blocks to a 100% Windows 7 upgrade- namely the DELL 350 Bluetooth Modulator and the ACPI function issue. It seems that wgt40w and my machine are pretty much on a level par (32bit Pro and 64bit Ultimate respectively) except that wgt40w  has seemingly cracked the ACPI where I have not.  Hopefully he will be able to send me his drivers to see if this changes things.

All readers to this WINNING thread please continue to contribute. We may never finally achieve 100% until Windows 7 drivers come available, but what the heck, we have turned Dell's Premium XPS into a Windows 7 runner, without waiting forever and a day living in hope.

Interesting to note in the above document conclision is that it seems the M2010 Keyboard and Mouse have somehow traded places during the quest.

Anybody who can help make further progress please post. We need you.

22 Posts

December 13th, 2009 09:00

crc2 - ACPI driver - please re-read my post dated Dec 12th 5.31am

To further expand on this - I have examined side-by-side the 32 bit and the 64 bit folders contained in R142181. Both folders contain a number of identically named files which I believe are the bluetooth drivers. The 32bit folder then has extra DellFn files, which I know are the ACPI files. In the 64bit folder the extra files are named beginning with'csr' - are these the 64 bit ACPI drivers or something else altogether? I do not know

I wonder what would happen if you downloaded R142181 onto your pc - unzipped it - then Cancelled the install - went to the 32bit driver folder and copied the Dellfn files into the 64 bit folder - then ran the instal Setup

Might it be worth you trying ?

92 Posts

December 13th, 2009 11:00

Hi again wgt40w. Today I tried yet again to crack the ACPI and this time read every window carefully at each stage. The main reason apparent for failure is simply that the driver is reported as being "unsuitable for the platform in use". 

Undeterred I logged again onto Dell Driver and Updates and selected our friend R142181. I then looked into the archive section for any other versions and found the same but with a different date. Quick story is this failed the same way.

So it seems I can report back that after trying everything suggested and otherwise thought off- it is not possible to steer, prod, threaten or provoke the R142181 32bit ACPI to install. Because of the reported platform incompatibility (as stated by Microsoft) I resist trying to copy and paste the various .inf and set up files. My guess is that DELL rightfully removed the 64bit keyboard set up and .inf files for this very reason (only pity is they don't tell anyone).

I think the CSR files referred to relate to the hardware (Bluetooth chip) and these installed without major problems. I also compared file names in the 32 and 64bit and it seems clear there are only btkb.. inf and set up files etc., in the 32bit.

I think we now have the answer as to why you managed to installed all the ACPI drivers. You wisely chose to install windows 7 32bit; unlike the fool I am for trying 64bit. It seems to be as simple as that. 

Must add that I am actually very pleased to have got as far as I have thanks to you and other members. With the benefit of Windows 7 64bit, I feel my M2010 is now running better than ever before. Quite an achievement. Finally, I can access most functionailty via Quick Set so in a nutshell, anyone with an M2010 can go for any version of Windows 7.  

Will still keep my ears and eyes open in case any other forum members report ground breaking news. Or Dell release drivers of course!

22 Posts

December 13th, 2009 12:00

crc2 - I'm not giving up yet!

I have Googled ACPI Function Keyhandler 64 bit driver and came to this:-

http://download.cnet.com/Network-Dell-Wireless-350-Bluetooth-Internal-Module-Driver-Version-A00/3000-2108_4-176190.html

It is a download of Dell R142183 - apparently suitable for:-

• Operating system: Windows Vista AMD 64-bit
  • It includes support for the ACPI Fn key handler
    I cannot see it openly displayed at Dell Downloads - why not give it a go ??

92 Posts

December 14th, 2009 00:00

I never expected you to give up. And like you I enjoy a challenge!

I downloaded it and the experience was well, interesting. So much so I again took screen shots and updated my FT report as posted yesterday. I won't post this yet in case anything new appears on this forum. The short story is simple.

The CNET R142183 is most likely the very same as our friend from Dell, R142181. My reports shows the screenshots revealing the very same file names, dates, ID's and sizes (KB). Being the same loading it should not have done any damage and the only thing noticed before installation failed was the BLuetooth Module gaining a quick update. Then I got a blue screen, gave up and went to bed. This morning I used my separate desktop set to log in.

Starting with the Dell deskset (KB&M) still dead, I again used my seperate desktop set to log in and do a  windows update. Happily the 350 Module got updated (thanks Microsoft) and the MS Enumurator re-appeared. However Bluetooth connectivity still not working with DELL deskset so I rebooted. Everything then went back to normal- so far.

It was worth a try and my lesson learned is to check the files before trying again. Shame to see CNET playing silly games though?!?

Have a good day and thanks again for not giving up.   

22 Posts

December 14th, 2009 02:00

crc2

With all the knowledge we have accrued, I would strongly suggest you try a complete Win 7 Full / Clean install, using R142181 or R142183. As I have previously stated my experience is that if both Toshiba & Microsoft stack drivers have been installed/ deleted, neither of them fully settle down and work.

From reading your northernlights Report I note that when Win 7 was installed you received a Windows Update that included a CSR update for Dell 350 - DO NOT INSTALL IT.

The second clean install I did was working OK until I ran this Csr upgrade - once installed and m/c rebooted, things went wrong and I had to re-commence a full clean install of Win 7 again.

92 Posts

December 17th, 2009 01:00

Hi  wgt40w - I followed your advise and managed to install Windows 7 32bit including our friend DELL ACPI8010. Installation was no easy task after I entered into installing first R14281 then R161000. I collected many blue screens but through persistence, I managed to crack the problems by deleting the generic Dell Bluetooh driver, and for good meaure both the generic infra-red and the famous unknown driver, before starting the R142181 installation run as Administrator (with virus software off). Despite DFU errors appearing, the driver loaded. Likewise R161000 installed. Although greeted by an error free Driver Manager list, unfortunately the Dell keyboard and mouse did not function in DOS start up, and acted drunk in windows. I looked under the bonnet to see what was wrong and found literally many hundreds of errors occuring each session. The motherboard was unhappy, the performance rating dropped 4  points, and no amount of trying to update drivers manually, or through windows update, over the two 2 days suggested the Dell keyboard and mouse would ever stay engaged each time I logged on. I ended up using my spare keyboard and mouse.

I finally decided to go back to 64bit and planned to NOTinstall either R14218, or R161000 next time round. Logic suggested that by banning these two and using the Microsft CRS Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module (a mere 15K and only to put a correct ID tag on the driver), would be suffice.  It worked. Both the Dell keybaord and mouse connected using Windows 7 bluetooth software, and more importantly, they remain engaged. Response is far better; the rating is back up to 5.4. Under the bonnet is much healthier.

To summarise. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit can be installed on XPS M20210- just dont install any DELL Bluetooth drivers. Let windows update download their own CRS Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module and leave it at that. Upon completion disable the unknown driver to stop windows complaining (Dell ACPI 8010).  This is no less because Dell's Quickset gives access to switching on/off wireless, brightness control, external display, etc., and you should find the keyboard lights all work anyway.  

I have to check with DELL if this is allowed first but my intention, and suggestion, is to post two folders to my FTP site to help other M2010 owners upgrade into Windows 7. The folders will contain the drivers needed together with an installation guide based on our two experiences (if you agree).

The twist to the whole story is that I now recommend to everyone to conside the benefits of 64 bit computing. In my case the difference is more than noticable in the Performance rating, but most of all, with most of my programs available in 64bit  (Adobe.Office 2007, Trend, Perfect Disk, Explorer and so on) the experience of faster  speed and swift reponse times, is simply, well, Magic! 

92 Posts

December 17th, 2009 02:00

Sorry for the typos' in my ealrier post. The two DELL bluetooth drivers to avoid installing are R142181 and R1621000. These are listed in the DELL download site as DELLL 350 BLUETOOTH MODULES (program and patch).

And something else I should have mentioned. Toshiba responded to my enquiries about their BLUETOOTH STACK. First they are going to sell single licences to Joe Public so this is a small victory already clocked up! 

Secondly, they pointed out that Windows 7 has it's own Bluetooth software built in. I believe this answers a lot. The CSR Bluetooth Chip is monitored directly by Windows 7, and perhaps, this is why Windows 7 doesn't like and doesn't need the Dell 350 Bluetooth Module forcing it's way in? The windows 7 update asks to install their own sourced update for the Dell 350 Bluetooth Module and that suggests, it would be unwise to undo what Windows 7 has achieved in completing the Bluetooth driver installation. It's only a theory of course, but it makes sense. Hence the logic I applied to try again without installing R142181 and R161000.  

I believe the bluetooth problem is NOW SOLVED. No need to buy the Toshiba Stack (29 Euros I hear), or any other bluetooth software (unless an alternative is preferred - but of course- it must be 100% Windows 7 compatible). Given time we may see windows automatically resolving the ACPI Function Key Handler, but in the meantime it doesn't seem to be any loss.

Thats' it. Time for a cup of tea.  

22 Posts

December 17th, 2009 04:00

crc2 - Well Done - champagne might be more apprepriate than tea!

Not only have you cracked the 64bit problem, but also discovered something that was bothering me. In one of my posts I mentioned that after Win 7 was installed, one of the earliest Window Updates received was the CSR Bluetooth one. In my case the first time I clean installed Win 7, I did allow this CSR update and it messed everything up. On subsequent clean installs and in one of my posts I instruct NOT to allow this update. You have now explained / discovered why this is.

It seems amazing to me that Dell themselves do not appear to have been informed or discovered what we, two amateur pc sleuths, have sorted out.

You are more than welcome to re-use my 'Guide' in a combined version.

If you wish, feel free to edit mine in line with your latest discoveries.

92 Posts

December 18th, 2009 02:00

How to install Windows 7 on XPS M2010 - SOLVED!

Follow the below URLs to read the guides.

When considering whether to choose 32bit or 64 bit please note- the guide produced by wgt40w walks through installing Windows 7 32bit. Following this procedure should result in a clean DEVICE MANAGER with everything working much the same as XP and Vista 32 bit did, utilising most of DELL’s standard drivers and software. Both URL’s are tested clean.

http://northernlights.me.uk/How%20to%20install%20Windows7_%2032bit%20on%20XPS%20M2010%20by%20wgt40w.doc

The guide produced by crc2 (me) walks through Windows 7 64bit.  The procedure is different to wtg40w’s guide, due to certain revelations noted this week concerning Bluetooth software.  The main difference to wgt40w’s guide is that the new Bluetooth connectivity software included in Windows 7 is acknowledged by way of NOT INSTALLING the infamous DELL 350 Bluetooth module, or the STACK by Toshiba.

http://northernlights.me.uk/How%20to%20install%20Windows7_64bit%20on%20XPS%20M2010%20by%20crc2.doc

As this latest Windows7 64bit guide utilises recent study results, then a volunteer is called for to adopt the very same installation procedure using only VISTA 32bit drivers from the DELL DOWNLOAD CENTRE. Then we should reach utopia on both 32bit and 64bit Windows 7 to conclude our united mission.

Please everyone, comment and recommend via this forum. Also perhaps, another volunteer might use this to create a new thread headed as this message is. Got to dash now.

Best wishes and Enjoy!

No Events found!