jhstew1
1 Nickel

Re: 14z- N411z Multiple failures

Its the most annoying thing I have dealt with Mouse jumps around, all of sudden the page is just scrolling down....UGH

0 Kudos

Hi  jhstew1,

Welcome to the Community,

I see that the hardware (touchpad) has already been replaced but still you're having the same issue.Some users having similar issue have confirmed using the Touch freeze utility ( disables touchpad automatically while you are typing text). You can download  and install this utility from this link below :

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/detail?name=TouchFreeze-1.1.0.msi

Note:This a 3rd party utility and not Dell validated application.

Please confirm if this utility helps.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
jhstew1
1 Nickel

I am using an Inspiron 14z(1470).  It seems you have mixed up the posts & Its not when i am typing.  I have not had anything replaced, this has been an issue since I purchased the unit but seems to have gotten much worse the past month or so.

The issue is as described in this thread, i am using the touch pad and suddenly the cursor will just randomly jump to the other side of the screen, if i am dragging the cursor around(in the middle of the pad) the page just starts scrolling.  

I have deleted the drivers and re-installed them as suggested, but that did not help.  

0 Kudos

Hi  jhstew1,

Sorry I got it wrong.To further check please private message me your system service tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you.

0 Kudos
rrleon1
1 Nickel

it was my system (14Z) that had everything replace over a period of a couple of weeks- including the touchpad, motherboard, etc.  Still have the issue but not as often.  I have tried all the fixes in this thread- i am careful to note that the palm of my hand does not touch the touchpad to cause a jump in the cursor.  I use a mouse almost all the time and all of a sudden, the cursor still will start jumping.  if i  try to use the touchpad at that point, it often times will not move left or right but will go up and down.  crazy.  so, i just disable my touchpad when the cursor starts moving and that works for a while.  but, i need to use the touchpad once in a while so it would be nice to have working.  love the computer- hate the pad- and i chose this computer because the touchpad was located in a position that my hands did not hit it when i was typing.  oh well

0 Kudos

Hi  rrleon1,

Could you confirm if the Touchpad was working normally for sometime after it was replaced? Did the issue reoccur in course of time or replacing touchpad did not make any change?

Though you've mentioned you take care to make sure not to touch the touchpad while typing,try installing this Touch freeze utility and confirm if you notice any change with cursor movement.

Here is the download link : code.google.com/.../detail

If the issue persists you may uninstall this utility.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rrleon1
1 Nickel

i can't recall exactly- it just seems as if it's been an ongoing problem and i live with it unfortunately.  sometimes i wonder if pressure on the area beside the touchpad where i rest my wrists has anything to do with it - also, it seems as if it doesn't happen initially when i am using my computer but seems as if cursor problems seem to occur if i have been working for a while- just anecdotal observation.  i'll try the touch freeze.

0 Kudos

Hi  rrleon1,

Since we are not sure if replacing the touchpad had fixed this issue at all and you have already tried updating the drivers,we may need to get the system serviced(replace touchpad) one more time and see if that helps.After trying touchfreeze if there is no change,private message me your system service tag number,along with your full name,address and phone number.

To private message click on my user name,click start conversation.

0 Kudos

I purchased by Dell N411Z last November and I also have an issue with the touchpad where the cursor randomly jumps around and will not respond to touch. The issue started within 2 months of receiving the laptop. I decided to use a wireless mouse as my work around, however, that uses up one of the USB ports that I now need. Plus the warranty will expire soon and I want to try to get this issue resolved. To the Dell rep on this thread, I did try your fix and I deleted the driver as well as Quickset64. I installed those again but that, unfortunately, did not fix the problem. I am not comfortable installing the 3rd party program on my laptop and frankly I should not have to do that. I want Dell to stand behind their product. Please let me know on what steps we can take to fix the issues. It seems from my research tonight both here and on other websites, many people have this issue. I look forward to hearing from you.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
jhstew1
1 Nickel

I had the Touch Pad replaced on Monday and so far it seems much better.

0 Kudos