Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

September 18th, 2008 05:00

1525 Microphone Array disabled

Hi, can someone help? I've just purchased an Inspiron 1525 and - don't ask - inadvertently disabled the inbuilt microphone array. How do I enable it again? I've looked in Control Panel and Device Manager and found nothing. It's driving me crazy. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 18th, 2008 10:00

These tips were posted by other forum members. See if any of them help.

"Open the Dell Webcam Center, and look for Audio Source in the bottom right corner.  Click on Microphone/Line In and then go to More, and select Microphone Array (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC).  Once the Audio Source says Microphone Array (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) then the microphone should be active." --- originally posted by Rollie, an Audio Board moderator

===============================================================================
This tip is from another forum member:

"I'm using Windows XP on the same computer, but had the same problem. What I found was that you need to turn on and adjust the "digital microphone" properties. If you right-click on the volume control in the system tray and select open volume control, then options > properties > select recording radio button and make sure the digital mic is ticked. Click Ok and make sure the select box is ticked for digital mic once again. Increase the volume level as appropriate. Use the sound recorder in accessories to test the two mics located to the left and right of the built-in camera." --- cssguy

===============================================================================

"Open control panel and double click sound>click the recording tab at top>Microphone should be shown in next window and should have a green check on it.Double click on the micrphone and click the device usage tab at bottom,if it is disabled select enable and click apply." dgkpcon

===========================================================================
I checked my wife's 1720 with SP1 and it was working. I went in under Webcam Center, then selected TOOLS and then audio settings (I think it was).  the microphone selections were bluetooth or Microphone array....do you see a microphone array option.  If so, select that that is what ours is set at.  If not, then I don't know what else to say. --eskymi

Jim

3 Posts

September 19th, 2008 01:00

Hi Jim, thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately none of the options seemed to work.

The first (opening Webcam Center) gave me a navy screen with options at the top but no audio source button anywhere on the screen.

The second (XP version) didn't give the same results as for Vista, which is what I have.

The last two presupposed that the 'Microphone Array' option just needed to be re-selected, as though it was greyed out. The problem is that the option doesn't appear at all. I remember before disabling it that both it and a plug-in mic option were clearly shown; but once disabled the array simply vanished.

If you have any other ideas I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Once again, thanks - Orlando

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 19th, 2008 01:00

Orlando,

You might try reinstalling your audio driver and/or webcam manager and/or integrated webcam from the 1525 Vista driver page.

Jim

3 Posts

September 19th, 2008 04:00

Great idea - didn't think of reinstalling the webcam software - doh! Thanks

1 Message

January 25th, 2009 08:00

Hi, Here's how I fixed my microphone after disabling it to record internet radio..

Go to the

Control Panel choose "Hardware and Sound" then "Manage audio devices" in the Sound tab, then the "Recording" tab.

RIGHT CLICK on the dialog box and select "Show disconnected devices" and/or "Show disabled devices" 

Left click on Microphone array to select it and click "Properties"

To the right of Device Usage, click the arrow pointing down and select "use this device(enable)"

Then choose Apply and OK. You will now see in the Sound/ Recording tab that its working.

Problem solved, all because of the right click facility.

To put a shortcut on your desktop for muting the microphone later, do this..

Go back to Control Panel and right click on the speaker icon or the 'Sound' word. Choose "Create Shortcut".

Good luck!

1 Message

January 26th, 2009 13:00

Hi, Here's how I fixed my microphone after disabling it to record internet radio..

Go to the

Control Panel choose "Hardware and Sound" then "Manage audio devices" in the Sound tab, then the "Recording" tab.

RIGHT CLICK on the dialog box and select "Show disconnected devices" and/or "Show disabled devices" 

Left click on Microphone array to select it and click "Properties"

To the right of Device Usage, click the arrow pointing down and select "use this device(enable)"

Then choose Apply and OK. You will now see in the Sound/ Recording tab that its working.

Problem solved, all because of the right click facility.

To put a shortcut on your desktop for muting the microphone later, do this..

Go back to Control Panel and right click on the speaker icon or the 'Sound' word. Choose "Create Shortcut".

Good luck!

Hey thanks man, I forgot all about right clicking.

Anyway I was having the same problem cause I was having a ASIO issue and disabled the line-ins and the built in mic

When I started up the Computer the next morning my Speech Req thing said no mics installed and I freaked lol

Anyway thanks for posting this, it helped my problem and made me feel like a fool because of such a simple thing

2 Posts

December 9th, 2011 16:00

Okay. I had this same problem on my Studio 1749,. because i... ahem.. accidentally disabled my array. 

I figured out on my own because no one had an answer that partained to this particular situation... that if you right click on the volume control (speaker icon) in the taskbar... and click recording devices.  in the box where all the mic and speakers would be listed,  right click.  [check] the box that says "Show disabled devices".   and array microphone will appear.  right click it.  and click on "Enable."   you may now configure it as normal.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2011 16:00

and I just saw the post above me. ahaha.  Yeah I didn't think to right click either!

1 Message

January 17th, 2012 01:00

It is not working. when i install the UBUNTU 10.04,10.10,11.04 and 11.10 versions (any one you can install). I am surprised, the microphone is working.

8 Posts

January 31st, 2012 11:00

Hi Jim, that's a Great idea to reinstall the audio driver and/or webcam. But when I finish downloading it, how do I install it? Can I install it right away or should I do a backup first ??

8 Posts

January 31st, 2012 11:00

*And tell me where do I find the mic in Device Manager in Vista?*

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 1st, 2012 05:00

Great idea to reinstall the audio driver and/or webcam. But when I finish downloading it, how do I install it? Can I install it right away or should I do a backup first ??

"*And tell me where do I find the mic in Device Manager in Vista?*"

As far as I know the mic array is not in Device Manager. I don't have a mic array so can't check to be sure.

When you go to the Recording tab of the Sounds properties it should look roughly like this:

If you see the words "Sigmatel High Definition" at all then the Sigmatel audio driver is installed and probably no need to re-install it. If you only see "High Definition Audio" then the Windows basic audio driver is installed, in which case you need to install the Sigmatel driver. After downloading it to the desktop, unzip it. Let the unzip wizard unpack the files to the default location on the hard drive -- it will suggest the location, just don't change it. After unzipping is done the installer will automatically begin installing the driver.

As far as the webcam, there are 2 software items. There is an application called either Webcam Center (older) or Webcam Central (newer) depending on model. I am not sure which it is on the 1525. I will put some links and instructions below regarding these apps. The other software is the Creative Labs Webcam driver which can be found in the "Input" category on the 1525 drivers & downloads page.

When you get the application and driver in place, if you don't see "Microphone Array" as in the screen shot above, right click in the white area of the properties box and look for it under "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices". If there, enable and make it the default recording device.

===================================================================================

More info about the application:

"Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software"
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_721174079830ADD5E040AE0AB6E14D21&isLegacy=true

This is the newer one (2009-10-02) about Webcam Central.

How to Start Webcam Central

1. Click Start
   2. Click All Programs
   3. Click the Dell Webcam
   4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
   5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone select Microphone. Make sure it is not muted.

===========================================================

" What is the Integrated Webcam and Digital Array Microphone"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=52159&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

This is the older one (2007-11-19) about the Webcam Center. The current models have Webcam Central.

How to Start Webcam Center

1. Click Start.
   2. When the menu opens, highlight either All Programs or Programs.
   3. Click the Dell Webcam folder, then click the Dell Webcam Manager icon to open it.
   4. In the Dell Webcam Manager, click the Dell Webcam Center.
   5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Center window, click the drop-down arrow next to Audio Source and click Digital Mic to enable the microphone. (On some models click Microphone/Line-in>More>Microphone Array Sigmatel.)

=========================================================

1 Message

July 9th, 2012 17:00

I hope, by now, you've resolved this issue.  I had the same issue today & found this solution:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > right-click & choose 'Show disabled devices' > Enable the Microphone Array.

Hope this helps others in the future!

No Events found!