Great idea to reinstall the audio driver and/or webcam. But when I finish downloading it, how do I install it? Can I install it right away or should I do a backup first ??
"*And tell me where do I find the mic in Device Manager in Vista?*"
As far as I know the mic array is not in Device Manager. I don't have a mic array so can't check to be sure.
When you go to the Recording tab of the Sounds properties it should look roughly like this:
If you see the words "Sigmatel High Definition" at all then the Sigmatel audio driver is installed and probably no need to re-install it. If you only see "High Definition Audio" then the Windows basic audio driver is installed, in which case you need to install the Sigmatel driver. After downloading it to the desktop, unzip it. Let the unzip wizard unpack the files to the default location on the hard drive -- it will suggest the location, just don't change it. After unzipping is done the installer will automatically begin installing the driver.
As far as the webcam, there are 2 software items. There is an application called either Webcam Center (older) or Webcam Central (newer) depending on model. I am not sure which it is on the 1525. I will put some links and instructions below regarding these apps. The other software is the Creative Labs Webcam driver which can be found in the "Input" category on the 1525 drivers & downloads page.
When you get the application and driver in place, if you don't see "Microphone Array" as in the screen shot above, right click in the white area of the properties box and look for it under "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices". If there, enable and make it the default recording device.
More info about the application:
"Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software"
This is the newer one (2009-10-02) about Webcam Central.
How to Start Webcam Central
1. Click Start
2. Click All Programs
3. Click the Dell Webcam
4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone select Microphone. Make sure it is not muted.
" What is the Integrated Webcam and Digital Array Microphone"
This is the older one (2007-11-19) about the Webcam Center. The current models have Webcam Central.
How to Start Webcam Center
1. Click Start.
2. When the menu opens, highlight either All Programs or Programs.
3. Click the Dell Webcam folder, then click the Dell Webcam Manager icon to open it.
4. In the Dell Webcam Manager, click the Dell Webcam Center.
5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Center window, click the drop-down arrow next to Audio Source and click Digital Mic to enable the microphone. (On some models click Microphone/Line-in>More>Microphone Array Sigmatel.)
I hope, by now, you've resolved this issue. I had the same issue today & found this solution:
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > right-click & choose 'Show disabled devices' > Enable the Microphone Array.
Hope this helps others in the future!