Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2013 05:00

1545 Octagon charger plug

Does anyone know if a right angle adapter is made for the 1545 octagon style charger plug. and where to buy it?  

September 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi MJNC367,

I believe you are referring to the DC In port on the system where you connect the charger pin.

Please check if the part you are referring to is the same part shown in the link below.

http://dell.to/1az8W7D

If it is the same part you are referring to, there is no such option available for the DC In port.

If you are referring to some other component, please provide us with the description or picture for better understanding.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

September 20th, 2013 06:00

Hi MJNC367,

Dell has not tested round pin adapters on systems with octagonal connector.

You may try connecting the round pin connector and if it fits in properly, you should be able to use it with no issues as it is just the design that is different.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 10th, 2013 06:00

octagon charger? octagon is 8-sides

I don't understand what you mean.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2013 09:00

Hello and thank you, yes that is exactly what I have. There are a number of right angle adapters on the markert to alleviate the annoying plug sticking out the side. But so far, I have not found one for the octagon style. Was this type in use for a very short period of time? They seem to be available for everything else.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2013 09:00

I have a dell inspiron 1545 from 2009. I am referring to the cord from the charger to the computer. Both the plug at the end of the cord and the jack on the laptop are octagon(8 sides) style. It apparently is not common because there are a number of right angle adapters available that are round. The ones for dell specifically say  will not fit octagon style plugs and jacks. I was hoping that someone knows of one other than where I've looked so far. That plug jutting straight out of the side has been a particular annoyance to me.

September 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi MJNC367,

The Octagonal shaped charger shipped with the Inspiron 1545 system is available only in one shape.

I have tried to research more to find out if there are any right angle adapters available for the octagonal pin shaped adapters, but was unable to find any.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

5 Posts

September 19th, 2013 14:00

HELLO DELL-KULDEEP M, thank you for your help and response, re; octagon shaped charger plug/jack. I noted that everything that I read about the available right angle adapters said that it would fit a 7.5mm Dell plug. So I got out my digital caliper and measured the flat to flat on the octagon plug. It was 7.5mm. My question now is; does the Dell 7.5mm round plud fit in the octagon jack?. If so, I could either buy a spare 1545 charger with the round 7.5mm plug, then get the available adapter. Or I could possibly get a 7.5mm round cord from an old charger and change it out. I'm pretty good with electronics. Thanks again for your help, and I would appreciate your input on this question.

5 Posts

September 20th, 2013 16:00

Hello Dell-Kuldeep M, thank you so much for your efforts on my inquiries. I will take your advice. Sincerely MJNC367

September 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi MJNC367,

I am glad that you found the information helpful.

Please share the findings.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2013 13:00

Hello MJNC367,

I also have Inspiron 1545 and want to get new adapter. But having same doubt about you. It seems that octagonal design was for limited period / models only. And such adapters are rare to find/ costs too much. The round plug adapters are easily available in market. and some have mentioned that they work well with octagonal socket. On the other side, i also read one post mentioning that round plug remains loose and had damaged the DC jack. So again i am confused.

Plz let us know if you tried round plug adapter with 1545.

Thanks..

July 5th, 2016 14:00

HI DRNT007,

I have heard that you have a dell inspiron 1545?

On some models, as we have already established, it has a octagonal AC adaptor.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 1545 sat in the back of my shop.

I have tried the round 7.5mm plug and it seems to be fine. I have wiggled it about a little bit and it still seems fine.

After about 10 minutes of vigurous wobbling of the cord, it still seemed fine.

~15 minutes later i went to have aother go at wobbling it vigurously and it seemed to have made the AC jack come loose.

I have re-souldered and it seems fine.

I have tried it on a different 1545 with the ocagonal adaptor and had the same results in abouth the same amount of time.

The moral of the post,: Dont wobble any adaptor in the jack for 25 minutes!

Thanks, Ben (Founder and C.E.O of Tornado tech

No Events found!