Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2010 18:00

1545 hard drive

I have an error on my hard drive. Dell is sending me a replacement drive, but I want to make sure that I get it right. Dell said that the hard drive would have windows 7 preinstalled on the drive. I am planning to back up my files before the new drive arrives. My question is this: Is there anything else I need to do to get all of my files onto the new drive? I have Microsoft Office and some other software that I want to keep on my system. I also have a lot of music and pictures the I don't want to lose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 19th, 2010 18:00

Back up your data files to a flash drive, CD/DVD or external hard drive.  Once the new drive arrives you can copy them over.

You will need to reinstall Office on the drive once you've installed it - you cannot copy that.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2010 15:00

I am having some difficulty backing up my old hard drive. My new drive has arrived, but I can't yet put the files on it. I bought a 320 GB external to back up to. Should I use the Windows backup and restore, or the program that came with the hard drive? I have tried both, but there are errors with both of them. I am trying the Windows program again as I type. Is there another program that is better than Seagate or Windows?

No Events found!