Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2012 20:00

15R Special Edition Fan Whine

Hi,

I just got a 15R Special Edition in the mail today. I love everything about it except the fan noise. While the lower-pitched fan noise is fine, there is a very high-pitched fan noise that's always there when the fan's on, even when running at the softest setting, and it drives me absolutely nuts. Is this common to all 15R Special Editions, or do I just have a bad fan? I hope it's something that can be remedied, as I'd gladly keep the laptop if it can be fixed. If it can't, however, I'll have to return it. I'm writing my Ph.D. dissertation on this computer and I can't have this whining noise all the time without going crazy.

Thanks!

45 Posts

August 9th, 2012 21:00

I also got this Inspiron 15R. I thought I was the only one having this type of problem. Now I know that it could be a default problem of this model.

16 Posts

August 9th, 2012 21:00

I'm going to ask for another and see if it does the same thing. Hopefully not.

However, if it does, it would be truly tragic. The last dell I was truly happy with was my old 1720. Built like a tank, has run solidly for years, is quiet, vibration free, etc. But I have skipped over several generations of Dell models because of the noise issues. I even got a netbook from Dell which I ended up giving away to my mostly deaf grandmother because it made such a loud noise with the vibrations from the hard drive.

Tablets are completely noise-free, and people have come to expect quiet machines as the standard now. I desperately want to give Dell my money for their otherwise outstanding computers. But because of a $2 fan I may have to resume my search and return my computer. I truly hope I have a defective machine, and that this is a defect and not a design flaw. But if not, please take this as a plea to pay far greater attention to noise - high frequency, intermittent, unpredictable noise. I will buy all Dell if this can be fixed.

Thanks! - a Dell fan who wishes his fan was quieter. :)

16 Posts

August 9th, 2012 22:00

It could even be turned into a money-making add-on. Offer an "ultra-silent" fan option on every computer. If people want quieter fans, let them pay for them. I'd gladly pay $40 for an ultra-quiet fan. I'd buy more Dell and Dell would sell more items with big mark-ups. Everyone wins! :)

No Events found!