Highlighted
alfischer
1 Nickel

15r 5737 speakers dead headphones OK

Was wao tching a YouTube. Sound OK. paused and came back later t contnue and ther wao sound from speakers however the headphones were fune. Ran the diags and no sound. Tried the diag in bios and no soud. Howe when running the config sound on the speakers get sound. Seems like software so I did a sys restore. No help. Tried toe reinstall the audio driver. FAILED. I am at a loss as what to do next. Any clues??

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

RE: 15r 5737 speakers dead headphones OK

Hello. There is a 17R 5737 model, and a 15R 5537, but I don't think there is a 15R 5737.

Tried the diag in bios and no soud.

It was the ePSA test? If so, was it the "Perform Quick Audio Check" test? Or was it the PSA test, and if so did you fail the color bar test?

If it was either one of those tests, then the speakers should be considered failed (or disconnected). I don't know how to reconcile that with the sound you heard when running the config sound. I can't think of any situation where one of the tests I mentioned would fail, and yet the speakers can still work.

o I did a sys restore. No help.

And that would be another confirmation of hardware failure. If you are still under warranty try contacting tech support and see if anyone there has any bright ideas.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos