Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2012 10:00

17R 7720 SE: Lost BIOS Access

I have a new 17R 7720 SE and can not access either F2 (Does not show up) for BIOS access and when I hit F12 Boot Options it shows but will not do anything it goes right to my Windows 8 Log in. How can I reset my BIOS to factory defaults ? I did do the latest FLASH upgrade and am wondering if it has anything to do with it.

I have attempted to contact Dell Tech support but they had no answer and told me they would call back in 1 hour...nothing... I have attempted Fn +Tapping F2 upon power up and nothing... Have attempted Fn+F12 tapping while power up and nothing.

If I remove the top of the case and then disconnect the BIOS battery will this take me to default settings ? I am a Electrionic Engineseer and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, I can handle it! :emotion-3:

Thanks,

Rich

92 Posts

January 21st, 2013 12:00

This is not a password issue.  Dell has locked out all users from adding boot devices etc.  to the BIOS. I can still get in there to modify parameters but only a small subset of what used to be configurable. The problem is that since I can not enter the BIOS with a simple F2 or F12 I have to pull the HDD to force the Phoenix BIOS to ask me what the boot device is,  as it's last resort! I have to do this every time I want to boot hard drive cloning software that requires "Legacy, Secure off". Thanks for the reply though RockStar! I have been in several time before A12 and know to hit F2 / F12 quickly. It suddenly did not work when I flashed A12.

CyberMaxX360:  I put it in as a test to see if any of my posts ever get looked at by Dell! I think the solution is months off in the future but I would like a reply saying it is being worked on.

272 Posts

January 4th, 2013 13:00

Same here new 17R 7720 SE Bios A11 exact same issue F2 or F12 does nothing and the laptop just boots to the OS.  Wish to install an mSATA cache using the Intel SRT features but I can't even get into the bios to make the changes necessary to complete the task.

Anyone from Dell Tech going to respond to this thread and I've noted that there are other threads stating same issue with the 17R SE (7720) models.

Thanks

DJ

41 Posts

January 6th, 2013 01:00

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope some DELL tech chimes in soon...

Seeing a LOT of 7720 'grief' threads today - I ordered a 7720  two days ago, and might not have jumped on it if I had spent a little more time cruising these forums. I can only hope that I won't get a lemon - I've had remarkable luck in the past

272 Posts

January 7th, 2013 23:00

Anyone from Dell going to chime in here? Few of us are locked out from our 7720 Bios settings. I would like to add an mSATA drive but I can not complete the work since I can't even get into the BIOS to change settings.  Advice Please.

272 Posts

January 8th, 2013 00:00

In another post someone suggested to pull the Physical HDD to see if the system will then allow you to boot into the BIOS.  

This worked for me, not sure if the Physical HDD needs to be in place to setup the BIOS for it to work with an mSATA card though. Need to order one myself.

Hopefully DELL will sort out the ability to press F2 during bootup to access the BIOS without having to pull the Physical HDD to do it.

Cheers

41 Posts

January 8th, 2013 00:00

Would be nice to hear some news SOON, yes!

I have a 256G msata card on its way from Crucial, and it should arrive here about the same time as the brand-spanking-new 7720 does...  (end of this week).

1 Message

January 11th, 2013 09:00

I tried all possible keys combinations for BIOS access and still no effects. I also removed HDD and still nothing. Maybe it is the reason that I upgraded BIOS to A11. Is it possible?

272 Posts

January 15th, 2013 14:00

Never tried it before having installed A11 when I noticed the problem to begin with.  With that said, Dell has now release A12 as of Jan 14th 2013 and after installing that it still has the same issue.

No matter what Key Combination I try I can't access the Bios nor the Boot Options Menu.
Only way I can access the Bios for now is to simply remove the Drive.

Would someone from DELL be kind enough to jump in here and tell us what's going on and or what we need to do to correct this.

272 Posts

January 21st, 2013 11:00

@Bill Alsip,  Yes Pulling the HDD did work for me I was able to access the BIOS then, it's the only way I can do it for now.... just wondering though I want to put in an mSATA cache drive and I know in order to use the Intel Smart Response Technology I need to set it in the BIOS what I don't know... do  you need to set this up in the BIOS with the HDD being visible I would assume that the HDD would need to be in place to select the drive and set for SRT so that it can be paired with the mSATA no?

And HELLO DELL SUPPORT are you alive?

Will anyone from there respond to this and other posts on here regarding this issue?

I see your other post and noted that yes indeed the user manuals are now GONE! what gives on that.  I checked via the Web under my service tag and there are no available manuals now.  As well as using the DELL support  the one Powered by "PC Doctor" application under windows 8 and it to can not link to the manuals.

I'm like you 25+ years working for a Major insurance company as a Technical Engineer doing nothing but Research and Development in regards to new equipment this would have been a nice desktop/field tech travel unit. But, as it stands now, if this unit came across my desk and this is what I saw after my usual 90 day trial.  It would have been thrown under the scrap heap as a "Nice Try, check on it later, MAYBE unit"

Not all to pleased with the technical aspect of this unit so far? Lets see what kind of answer and hoops I'll have to jump thru when I get technical support on the line.  This should be fun, can't wait to see what their going to say when I tell them I went to download the manual using their application and there is none. And for that matter I know they where there so don't tell me that it's a new unit and they haven't been posted or when I ask them how do I go about putting in an mSATA and they instruct me to access the BIOS by pressing F2.  This should be a bunch of LOLZ on my part :D

92 Posts

Things are so bad I may have to resort to this:

link deleted for now

92 Posts

Pull the HDD and then power it up using F12.  It worked for me and I was locked up. I know you tried it once but I am not sure you used F12?  Keep tapping F12 on the power-up  and  then chose setup  to get in BIOS or boot options for using  legacy CD/DVD's.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Call Dell with proof of ownership and they will help unlock the BIOS. If out of warranty, there will be a fee. The password is not stored in CMOS memory - it is stored in nonvolatile, flash EEPROM memory.

Rick

272 Posts

You know what's ironic about the statement "Proof of Ownership" ok yes I can prove I own it but as stated "Ownership" I own it so why am I locked out of the BIOS to begin with.  Just plain stupid on DELLS part.

272 Posts

That BIOS update should be posted on the Support page for this unit I hope.... But,  Seriously this unit has USER installable options like the mSATA cache but now the user can not perform even that task.  Someone in Engineering decided they don't want to be bothered with technical questions so easiest way - just lock it out completely. That's just wrong.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

I have contacted someone that may be able to help. They may have to get a BIOS update to allow you to use the boot sequence.

Rick

No Events found!