Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

9 Posts

January 4th, 2008 19:00

2200bg locks up Inspiron 6000

I have an Inspiron 6000 with an Intel Wireless 2200bg. The computer was hanging during boot and refused to load. Reverting to the factory install made no difference either. I wiped the system and started a Clean installation of Windows XP pro. I downloaded all the latest drivers from Dell, and went through all the recommended and optional updates from Microsoft including SP2. Everything runs fine except when I installed Intel Proset/Wireless, it hung. When I rebooted the system it hung during the XP startup logo. I booted to Safe Mode and removed the wireless drivers from device manager. The system fully booted but hung when XP detected the 2200bg. I rebooted into Safe Mode and "disabled" the 2200bg. Now everything (except the WiFi) works fine.

All this leads me to believe there is something wrong with the 2200bg. Either hardware or software. I'm leaning toward hardware though.

Thoughts?

29 Posts

January 6th, 2008 16:00

Sounds like a driver issue. Could also be a defective card.

Where are you getting your 2200BG drivers from?

To confirm what card you have, you can download the Intel WLAN detection tool from here:

Also, I've downloaded the latest drivers directly from Intel for that model. You can download them from here:
http://www.photopiks.com/2200bg.zip - The drivers directly from Intel are only 6.8mb.

And to top it off, just in case I also dropped in the latest drivers from the Dell downloads area. I'm not sure which ones you've tried, but this should cover everything. The Dell drivers for the 2200bg are here:
http://www.photopiks.com/dell2200bg.exe - The drivers from Dell are a huge 80mb.

In the past, I have used both driver sets and both worked.

Sounds

Message Edited by opentoe on 01-06-2008 02:04 PM

9 Posts

January 6th, 2008 23:00

I used the ones directly from Dell. I have another laptop with the same card in it and it runs Linux via USB hard drive and the Linux Intel 2200bg drivers work fine on the other laptop, but won't load on this one. When i bought the 6000, it was always disconnecting from WiFi randomly with the factory drivers. Then I went on the Dll website and installed the updated drivers and I never had another problem until just now. The 6000 is only two years old.
No Events found!