Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2017 06:00

3 e d c Keys not working in Dell Vostro

Hi,
   3 e d c keys have suddenly stopped working on Dell Vostro Laptop. 

1. I have cleaned the keyboard externally. Issue exists

2. Using USB keyboard, the keys work

3. Updated driver for keyboard. Latest driver already installed. Issue still exists. 

Checked the archives of this forum. Only 1 query posted about 4 years ago, and is unresolved. Hence, submitting fresh query. 

Please help. 

Regards,

Nish

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 27th, 2017 10:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exact model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Vostro 3550, windows 7

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto the search box to get exact model number and version of windows. In the meantime, run the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 27th, 2017 10:00

If there's a Number Lock Key on the keyboard, I suggest following the steps in link below and see if that will make a difference.

Keyboard Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

EDIT:

April 30th, 2017 06:00

No there is no number lock key on the keyboard. Also, the issue is only with 3 e d c keys, if num lock was the issue, it would have been on all keys, not only on 3 e d c keys,

April 30th, 2017 06:00

Exact Model is Dell Vostro 2420 running windows 10 home single language.

I also ran the diagnostic as you had suggested above. No errors reported.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 11:00

If you're not comfortable in opening the computer, I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link below:

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

2. Using USB keyboard, the keys work

:emotion-2:

If that troubleshooting step didn't work, I'd suggest opening the computer and reseat the Keyboard cable. Please read thoroughly the instructions before reseating keyboard in the link below:

Vostro 2420 Owner's Manual

Note: Please attempt this step only if you're comfortable in opening the computer and handy with any type of tools.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I suggest removing the battery and drain the residual power from the system by following the steps:

1. Power off system

2. Remove all peripherals - Speakers, Printers, Scanners, USB flash drive, external storage devices, External monitor, External keyboard, External mouse and if your computer is attached to a docking station, undock it.

3. Remove AC adapter, battery, and then press "Power On" button for 20 seconds to drain the residual power.

4. Replace battery, adapter, and then power on system. Hopefully keyboard is fix now.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

Please watch video in link below to get a better view of the keyboard cable. You could start at 150 mark at video.

https://youtu.be/PMiP7VjViuM

May 6th, 2017 09:00

ejn63, As mentioned above, I could not open the keyboard myself... how do I replace the keyboard :) I reckon, I need in person support

Tried draining out the residual power of the system. It did not fix the issue

I tried but could not open the keyboard.. No improvement in the issue.

It's pretty interesting to note that I always encounter this problem when I travel to India (I live in Australia). I know, there's no connection between travelling to India and 3,e,d,c keys not functioning, but I have observed this happening for my past 4-5 travels.  Everytime, I used to come back to Australia , within a few days, the issue used to get resolved automatically. Not this time.

Not sure if this bit would help, but that's another bit of info...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Sounds like a connector is faulty somewhere, and it's very possible the movement during travel is the cause.  If you can't get the keyboard out of the system, take it to a repair shop and have the keyboard replaced by a professional.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Replace the keyboard.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 6th, 2017 10:00

The instructions are linked above - if you can't get the keyboard out, take the system to a repair shop.  It's unlikely the system is in warranty and while you can ship the system to Dell for out of warranty service, it'll likely cost less to have a local shop provide the labor.

No Events found!