Highlighted
verbage
Bronze

32GB in Inspiron 13 5000 series (5378)???

I have an Inspiron 5378 on the way, and my understanding is that it has two DDR4 slots.  Dell advertising suggests this machine can only use 16GB.  But around the web, I have seen folks suggesting that some of the earlier versions of this 2-in-1 could indeed take 32GB as 2x16GB sticks.  The CPU in this machine (Core i7-7500U) supposedly supports 32GB so I am wondering if anybody has actually tried 32GB to confirm that it works.  Thanks for any comments!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
verbage
Bronze

RE: 32GB in Inspiron 13 5000 series (5378)???

Well, I've ordered 32GB (2x16GB) of DDR 4, and will post results when the laptop arrives.

0 Kudos
verbage
Bronze

Well, I'd like to confirm that I installed 32GB (2x16GB) of DDR4 in my newly arrived Inspiron 13 2-in-1 5378, and it was recognized without a hitch by the BIOS.  I've only spent a few hours using the system getting Win 10 configured and set up, but it works perfectly fine with the 32GB.  So like other observations that have been made, Dell might not have actually certified the use of 32GB in this particular system, but it seems to work without a problem.

For those interested in the specific details of DDR4 I used, here is the link:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Another note--I was expecting to find an available M.2 slot in inside for an eventual upgrade to an M.2 SSD, but there is not one.  The only M.2 slot I saw is filled with the wireless card.  This is pretty darn frustrating as I was planning to upgrade to an M.2 SSD in a few months.  I've subsequently done some searching on these forums, and see notes to the effect that only 7000 series machines have a second M.2 slot.  But that is not what the User Manual says!!!  If you can't even count on the dedicated user manual for correct specs this is pretty frustrating.  And it's a little bit infuriating because Dell probably saved a whole $0.49 in fabrication costs by eliminating this second slot.  I think I will eventually write them about this because it is a big disappointment.

0 Kudos
sandbochang
Bronze

For this I would suggest you NOT to update the BIOS to 1.4.0 (or any version at all, I am not sure what is the version it starts to have issues.).

I can't say for sure it will affect you, but my 5378 just could no longer boot with my pair of 16GB RAM both installed. I need to detach either one of them. Then the other one can stay in either slot and the computer boots normally.

It was working flawlessly for two weeks until a few days ago which I only upgraded the BIOS, so I have to say that's the cause for me. Just for your reference.

0 Kudos
verbage
Bronze

Goodness, thank you for letting me know, sandbochang!  I don't remember what BIOS version my 5378 is on for the moment, but I sure won't upgrade it at all until this is worked out.  I am hoping this is just a mixup by Dell, and that future versions will allow 32GB because the system appears to support it without any obvious problems.  Thanks again for letting everyone know!

0 Kudos
aluken2003
Copper

Hi There where did you purchase this RAM ? Thanks

0 Kudos