Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 27th, 2009 00:00

4GB RAM on DELL INSPIRON 9400

Hi,

Does the INSPIRON 9400 take 2 x 2 GB RAM and which one do you recommend to buy? :emotion-42:

I started using Windows7 and want to virtualize some machines and need more RAM. Currently I go 2 x 1 GB from DELL equipped, but there is no upgrade by DELL to 2 x2 GB, only from KINGSTON:

Hope somebody has experience and allready upgraded his machine and can give me the results.

:emotion-1: :emotion-22:

Joey

8 Posts

October 27th, 2009 10:00

Hi Canis,

According to the Owner's Manual for your Inspiron 9400, the maximum supported RAM is 2Gb, which is what you already have. The Intel 945 Chipset doesn't support more than a total of 2Gb, so there is no point to trying to put 2 x 2Gb in to the system. At best the system will only recognise 1Gb from each card, for a total of 2Gb, and at worst the system won't boot up at all. Even if the system did boot up it is likely to give memory errors and be quite unstable, so I would strongly recomend that you don't try it.

Jonathan.

PQSA Services.

Assisting NGO's with IT Support Services.

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 16:00

I'm using Dell Inspiron 9400 with 4 GB of ram without problem. I have 2 SODIMM of 2 GB each. Indeed, the system sees 4 GB, but uses only 3.25 GB (it mentions the rest is used by BIOS !?!?!)

The system was bought about 4 or 5 years ago, initially with CPU Core Duo @ 1.86, and this year I upgraded it (myself) to Core 2 Duo T7600  @ 2.33 (x64).

I would like to install more ram in it (I plan for 2 SODIMM's of 4 GB each - DDR2), but is anyone who tested this? Will the bios recognize this ram, or not? Normally it should, now being with 64 bit OS. And I wouldn't want to invest in 4 GB sodimm DDR2, which is expensiver then DDR3, and will be useless if the bios won't recognize it. I have the latest bios to date (A10)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 17:00

The system will recognize all 4G.  You may not see all of it though - the chipset reserves certain memory for internal use, and though the chipset in this model does support memory remapping, the BIOS is an older one (the system went end of life long ago, so there will not be any updates) -- so, even with a 64-bit OS you may not see all 4G.

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 02:00

Thanks for answer.

I heard that one has updated the bios of an 9300 with bios for XPS170, to give it a newer one.

Could be possible to update the bios in 9400 with one of some other model that might give him access to more then 4 GB?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 04:00

No, there is no other BIOS to use - trying will simply net you a dead mainboard.

4 Posts

February 6th, 2011 23:00

I am also considering upgrading from 1meg to 4 mgs of memory in my 9400 XP machine.  Dell tells me 4mg isnt supported but can use 800mhz memory now.

Anybody have any knowledge of this?  Should I buy 2mgs of pc2-6200  800mhz ram?

Raylon 

3.6K Posts

February 8th, 2011 17:00

Yes i tried running 800mhz RAM in my E1705 and i can tell you the temp went thru the roof.I would not suggest using anything but 667mhz RAM in the E1705.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2011 18:00

The reason I ask about the 800mhz ram is that is what Dell tried to sell me twice.  Did the ram get hot or somthing else?

I asked them about the 800mhz  and they said "yes, we have the software for that now". Since I posted I have  heard somewhere that it still runs at 667mhz anyway.  Are you a heavy user? Games and so on?  Does that make a difference?

Raylon 

26 Posts

February 8th, 2011 21:00

Hi Raylon,

The speed of the RAM is governed by the speed of the memory bus. On the I9400 the memory bus speed is 667MHz, so the memory will run at 667MHz. Actually since this is under-clocking the memory it should actually run cooler than it would if it were running at it's native speed of 800MHz, certainly not hotter.

I suspect that dgkpcon was having other problems that caused the over-heating of his system, such as dusty cooling vanes or a defective fan?

As mentioned elsewhere in this topic, if you are running a 32bit version of Windows you will not 'see' all the 4Gb of RAM in Windows. This is due to the limitations of the 32bit architecture of Windows, not a BIOS limitation. How much RAM you actually see in Windows depends on various factors, but it usually is around 3.25GB to 3.5GB. My Dell Vostro 1700 with 4GB RAM showed 3.56Gb RAM in the 32bit version of Windows Vista, while my father's Dell XPS Desktop shows just 3.2Gb RAM in the same OS. I'm now running Windows 7 x64 and have access to the full 4Gb or RAM. Whether you can run a 64bit OS will depend on whether the processor in your system is 64bit capable or not, I suspect not.

HTHs

Jonathan.

Jonathan R. Portwood.

PQSA Services

"Assisting NGO's with IT Services"

3.6K Posts

February 9th, 2011 22:00

Yes at the time i was waiting on my 5th MOBO GPU replacement but put the 667 RAM back in and holding onto the 800 for next laptop.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2011 09:00

Thanks to both of you for your kind and quick response.

Im using WinXP now but thinkking of an upgrade to Vista basic. The   Processor is x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz. duo core.

Is that a 64 system?

I hear Vista Basic has some limitations on burning DVDs and such. Do I just need a DVD suite? I have on cd roixo creator/MyDVD combo LE. Will that give me

the ability to burn DVDs, ISOs and such?  Or will I be severelyl limited in Vista?

Thanks again

Raylon 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

There is no point in upgrading to Vista.  If you want to upgrade, skip Vista - go for Windows 7.

Vista is a dead-end OS.

3.6K Posts

The sossaman and yonah chips were both x64 bit CPU's.I have roxio myself,it came loaded on my E1705 and yes it will burn ISO's.But for everyday use like,burning DVD's/CD's etc...It is not that great in fact i only use it for burning ISO's and use nero as my main DVD utility.I run Vista Home Premium and have never run the basic version so i cant answer your last question about limitations.Roxio on the other hand is limited because the driver is not compatible with Vista and you have to load the patch from Dells driver and download site.Even with that it is still not a very good burning suite in my opinion.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 23:00

Hello, Do I need to do any upgrade to my Dell Inspiron prior to 4 Gb Ram upgrade?

About 6 months ago I have upgraded to 2 x1 Gb Memory , it helped a lot, But I wished I had tried the 2 x 2 Gb.
And the Core 2 Duo T7600  @ 2.33 (x64).?  is that needed and/or inexpensive?

Thank You

Ken

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 23:00

Hello

I tried to send before but I don't know if it sent, I am new here.

I have the same Dell, am I needing to upgrade the Core 2 Duo T7600  @ 2.33 (x64). prior to upgrading o 4 Gb memory?

And is that difficult and/ or expensive?

Thank You

Ken

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!