Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2012 01:00

6. M65 Precision Mobile Workstation (Laptop) Owner's Thread

Thought we could accumulate some data on the M65 laptop here.

First, here is some info starting on page 2 of this thread over in the XPS area:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/xps/f/3681/t/19363038.aspx?PageIndex=2

I'll try to eventually move the important data from there to here. I think we have all moved on from XP by now.

RAM Expansion:

I upgraded from 2gb to 4gb. Win7-64 sees 4gb, but says only 3.25gb usable. After some Internet research, seems its a problem with most Intel 945 based laptops (including Lenovos and HPs). Still, an extra 1.25 gb is better than nothing (over 50% increase is still good). Even though the Quadro FX-350m has dedicated memory, I think it also takes some shared system memory. I wonder if that can account for the missing 0.75gb ... or is it just the 32bit limitation thing.

It was pretty cheap at Crucial ($75) CT524379 4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Dell Precision M65 System

Trusted Platform Module:

LaidBackTokyo says:

yes my Broadcom TPM (A2), v1.2 is activated in bios and woks fine with z native MS Win7 driver. i use it. partly. UPEK fingerprint module only.

since there is no good Wave Corp Embassy Suite software 4 use with Win7 x64 and compatible with TPM v1.2 (or at least wasn't a year & half ago) i use it with UPEK Protector Suite 2009 and everything works fine.

nVidia Quadro FX 350m video driver:

This nVidia Quadro FX 350m video driver (v7.15.11.7967 - March 2009) works in:

Windows 7
Windows 8 Consumer Preview
Windows 8 Release Preview (6-2012)
Windows 8 (Final RTM)

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=fx%20350m

I think WindowsUpdate offers this same driver in Windows 7. However, if you are installing 7-Pro, the generic driver will load on clean install. You have to go into System/Hardware/Device Install Settings and allow drivers to download from WindowsUpdate. Then WU will offer it, or you can update driver from DeviceManager. In Windows 8 you have to install it manually. I only tested the 64bit driver in Win8, and it works fine.

The Windows driver ID for the 32-bit driver is 20254023 (68.6 MB download). The Windows driver ID for the 64-bit driver is 20254024 (87.5 MB download).

Windows 7 Pro 64 (Clean Install):

Clean install.
Go into System/Hardware/Device Install Settings and allow drivers to download from WindowsUpdate.
Update FingerPrint Reader driver from WindowsUpdate
Update  nVidia Quadro FX 350m video driver from WindowsUpdate
Update "O2Micro OZ776 USB CCID Smartcard Reader" from WindowsUpdate

No other drivers seem to be required (Modem, Ethernet, WiFi, Card Readers, etc. all seem to be working)

Dell Rockstar

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Mark as Accepted Answer" on any post that answers your question best.

17 Posts

October 25th, 2016 05:00

bad :-/

My M65 work perfect ...

No BlueScreen, no OverHed (and I am in CAD & CAM).

I have "HP EliteBook 8570w" about 15-in months but is not in work (only film watching).

My M65 work great ...

Edit: today is my M65 10 year old ;-).

Boaaaaaa- Crazy ...

New: 1740 €, now only 80 € ;-).

November 4th, 2016 05:00

howdy Tesla1856,

well, is there any sign of its life when you push power button? any light from LEDs around keyboard?

if yes  then it could be dead screen invertor or screen itself or notorious fx350m.

anyhow pls connect to m65 any VGA external monitor first just to check if you can see something... POST screen at least... it's easy to do even w/o hdd.

also check boot on battery only w/o power supply.

rgds,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 4th, 2016 12:00

Hello LBT, I was wondering if you were still around.

Yes, the LEDs near KB come on for a few seconds (along with a fan) before it shuts down. It doesn't really stay on long enough to BIOS Post ... and never any video output or LCD panel illumination.

Yes, I connected it to an external monitor but get no video. Also tried connecting to Docking-Station.

November 5th, 2016 10:00

howdy t1856,

oops i've posted a message twice... but it again needs approval of this forum admins due to ebay(!) links inserted...

idiots.... sorry  dell censor bots...

well let's wait 4 some fuzzy approval...

c ya,

ok. below is a copy of that message itself w/o links:

===========================================================

well... so pls let me confirm that if u push power button on so CaspLock, NumLock & 3rd LED above keyboard are on for a few seconds along with cooling fan noise and then m65 auto shuts down, right?

what about another LEDs at left top of z botom part of m65 right below z screen? of course this question is primarily about 2 LEDs @ z right - power & hdd (oops, forget about hdd LED if no hdd installed)...

pls prompt details.

c ya,

p.s. if power LED is also on 4 same few seconds time pls remove all RAM modules (both outside & inside). first just reseat one or both carefully and if no effect replace them with at least one compatible & confirmed good RAM stick and then try to power m65 on again... if same problem persists then try to reseat/replace CPU with any i945 chipset compatible one...

or try to reflash BIOS in DOS mode from floppy or CD or USB, if any or these options still alive/available...

though it's likely a mobo trouble - a short somewhere or intel north bridge (or most likely fx350m) is just dead...

then buy some used mobo 4 less then 50 bucks of m65 or d820 @ ebay if u wanna restore all as it was... OR buy mobo of m4300 or d830...

=========================================================

p.p.s. or search ebay 4 z bottom part assembly of same m65/d820 or m4300/d830.

anyhow pls be careful while ebaying... there r a number of laptop/mobo versions of any named above dell model... pls ask me first if need... 

p.p.p.s. there r no sense to connect any that aged d(!)-dock to m65... as far as I remember it has no any spare videochip inside...it's just a port replicator/extender...:emotion-5:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 9th, 2016 14:00

LaidBackTokyo,

Thanks for the links, but as I said in previous posts ... I likely will not be repairing this M65. Not just because of the age and abilities, but I have several "newer and more capable" laptops available to use.

Also, please watch the language. This includes using stars for letters. We like to keep this forum civil and Rated-G.

Thanks again for all your help and messages over the years.

November 10th, 2016 06:00

LaidBackTokyo,

Thanks for the links, but as I said in previous posts ... I likely will not be repairing this M65. Not just because of the age and abilities, but I have several "newer and more capable" laptops available to use.

Also, please watch the language. This includes using stars for letters. We like to keep this forum civil and Rated-G.

Thanks again for all your help and messages over the years.

well, naturally it's up 2 u - repair or no...

i guess u just can easily consider this not as repair but a tiny tech fun...

anyhow, pls check boot on battery only, RAM, CPU & DOS mode BIOS reflash as mentioned above first...:emotion-4:

rgds,:emotion-5:

p.s. u can also try dell diagnostics utility launch from CD or USB...

No Events found!