Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2016 03:00

7359 2-in-1: No sound from speakers after BIOs update

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 7359 2-in-1, and have been more or less satisfied - except for one glaring problem: There is no sound from the speakers (and despite checking all the properties, etc) after the latest Dell BIOs update - WS-01.08.00.exe.

I have spoken repeatedly with Dell Service, who sought without success to find a solution, and I even did a full factory restore - nothing worked until (and after much aggravation and searching on forum boards...) - I downgraded the BIOs to a previous version: (01.06.00,A05 26 Feb 20167:37:58 AM).

I have the sound back now, but - this can't be acceptable for a factory fresh device, can it?

Also, as a side note, is there any way to enable stereo mix (recording online/waveout), as I've had on my previous Dell XPS 13 and Inspiron? It's not a "right-click-enable-disabled" issue either - it's just not there on this machine, unless I want to dare to add a registry value - not something for the fainthearted on a new laptop...

Suggestions, anyone?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 16th, 2016 20:00

Hello. Several owners of the Inspiron 7359 have posted saying  to downgrad the BIOS to 01.06.00,A05..

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 20th, 2016 05:00

Also, as a side note, is there any way to enable stereo mix (recording online/waveout), as I've had on my previous Dell XPS 13 and Inspiron?

The 7359 is a model with Conexant audio, which is somewhat rare for Dell laptops because most of them have Realtek now.. Conexant does not allow for stereo mix. If that is a feature you have to have, you might consider returning the laptop and getting one with Realtek audio.

A couple of people have gotten stereo mix to work on Conexant, but I think most give it up in frustration. There is a hack of the Conexant driver to implement stereo mix at

forums.toshiba.com/.../174656

Go to the 1st page of that thread and scroll way down to the 15th post. The poster's name is AcrUsr and he found the hack. Keep reading that thread for more details from AcrUsr and screen shots.

not something for the fainthearted

I would back up the Registry first, to neutralize the risk.

Other than hacking the Registry or getting a different model, I think the only option is to get a usb sound card that has the stereo mix function. I have not checked into those in a long time so don't know what is available now, or if there is even one that works with Win10.

September 10th, 2016 11:00

I also have a 7359 - I rant into this problem very recently.  I found that I had audio after a complete shutdown, but never after a restart.  I'm wondering if this BIOS version is the culprit?

1 Message

September 15th, 2016 19:00

I also had the same issue.  After doing the "Shutdown" it worked.   This is very frustrated as it has happened several times.   DELL you need to fix this.

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 08:00

As many others, I have this issue.  My question is, What's the process here to make sure DELL is working on a solution?  With A11, even a shutdown doesn't fix my audio. I'm having other issues that I think are A06 related (cant prove quite yet). Would really like to have a current BIOS that also corrects audio so we may have a complete working system.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2017 09:00

My question is, What's the process here to make sure DELL is working on a solution?  

There is no process to make sure Dell is working on it. You could private message a moderator and ask if he or she can look into it, although there are no moderators left who have particular expertise in audio, as far as I can tell.

My standing advice, for years now, has been to return a new laptop if it has audio issues, because there is no assurance that Dell will ever fix the issue, After the return period expires you will own the issue, because historically Dell has disowned audio problems if they could not be proved to be caused by hardware failure.

1 Message

January 13th, 2017 11:00

Had this same problem 6 months ago with a new laptop that got a bios update. The roll back was the ONLY thing that worked. 6 months later I had forgotten about this solution when the sound stopped working again and nothing else I tried worked. The clue that it was bios related was 1) my computer had just been auto updated by Dell and 2) a restart holding down the F4 or F5 keys would reactivate the speaker sound but not headphone jack. And if I restarted normally after this the sound was gone again! Finally remembered this page and the roll back solution. But when is Dell going to fix this ****?

1 Message

April 24th, 2017 14:00

How did you do this I don't have sound either. I'm not that great on computers

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 24th, 2017 18:00

Dell came out with a new BIOS last month, if anyone wants to try it. I got a report that it fixes the problem caused by some of the earlier versions.

BIOS 1.15.0, A12

EDIT: the new BIOS (1.15.0, A12) was removed by Dell after I originally wrote this.

1 Message

April 25th, 2017 22:00

Thanks to this complete thread I was able to fix what Technical Support could not and wanted me to return the Laptop to a Service Centre. I have provided them with the link to assist them and others in the future.

Also noted that this only happened since my BIOS update earlier this month so Dells assumption that they have fixed the issue in this latest BIOS version may be incorrect.

cheers

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 26th, 2017 06:00

Also noted that this only happened since my BIOS update earlier this month

Do you know what version you had before the update?

Dells assumption that they have fixed the issue in this latest BIOS version may be incorrect.

I don't know that Dell assumes the version fixed the problem. A poster in another thread said it fixed it on his or her machine.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2017 14:00

Yea, I've had this same issue from day 1, April 2016. i.e.  I found that I had audio after a complete shutdown, but never after a restart.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2017 14:00

Is this BIOS version still available? BIOS 1.15.0, A12 - Link goes to dead end.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 6th, 2017 15:00

Is this BIOS version still available? BIOS 1.15.0, A12

No, Dell has removed it.

Thanks for pointing out that it is missing. I have edited the post where I had linked to it.

2 Posts

May 19th, 2017 13:00

Dell came out with a new BIOS last month, if anyone wants to try it. I got a report that it fixes the problem caused by some of the earlier versions.

BIOS 1.15.0, A12

EDIT: the new BIOS (1.15.0, A12) was removed by Dell after I originally wrote this.

Why is BIOS 1.15.0 A12 removed? I have this version flashed in my 7359 2 in 1.

No Events found!