Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2017 15:00

7746 Mousepad Issue (following Win 10 Creator Update)

I have lost the left/right button function on my 7746 laptop, following the forced Windows 10 Creator update. 

The mousepad works, but only for cursor movement. 

I've updated the driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the Synaptics pad with no results.  At that point, I could go into settings and see the mousepad button functions, but they would not add in the button function.

I've updated my Chipset and the BIOS, neither solved the problem

Today, the device doesn't even show up in Device Manager.

Any suggestions?

9.4K Posts

December 19th, 2017 04:00

Hi britbriar,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Since you've tried many things already, here are a few more things I could suggest trying.

www.dell.com/.../touchpad-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide

www.dell.com/.../dell-inspiron-17-7746-system-guide

4 Posts

December 19th, 2017 05:00

Ok, I found the driver.  I uninstalled the Dell Touchpad and reinstalled, Driver 17.0.11.1 (2013).  The two buttons still do not function.  I tried updating that driver (via Device Manager) but the message returned is that I had had the most up to date driver.    I have on order, a new wrist rest and touch pad for this laptop (two years old).  Its not an easy part swap but I can handle it.  Do you think that will return the function of the buttons?  Its hard to believe this is a hardware failure as the issue only occurred immediately following the Windows 10 Creator Update.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2017 05:00

Robert P - thanks for the reply.  I had completed those steps as well.  However the Synaptics mousepad driver doesn't show on my Support page (using my Express tag) nor anywhere on the Dell site.  Can you send me the URL to download the correct driver?  perhaps the Windows 8 driver will reenable those mouse pad buttons.  Again, that driver does not show up on the support page and a search on the Dell site doesn't have it either.  I had to get the driver externally.  

9.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 05:00

From your description, it does not appear to be a hardware issue, but more of an OS issue.  Have you tried reverting back to the earlier version?  Here is a link from Microsoft showing how to install a previous version of Windows.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 07:00

It turns out to be a hardware issue.  I  did revert back to an earlier update, but no success.  Last night, I installed a new palm rest and mousepad. It took about 2 hours, using a tutorial video from Parts-People.com.  That was the fix, my right/left keys work fine now.   $45 for the new part.  I hated using a mouse in the interim, so I'm happy to have my fully functioning pad back in action.  Thanks for your replies.

No Events found!