Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

November 7th, 2004 20:00

8200 - Common Memory Slot Problem / remedies ?

I've been going batty over the last week or two trying to nail down an issue with my 2+ year old (out of warranty) Inspiron 8200/2.0ghz.  I was getting BSODs and then eventually the laptop would not boot, with only the caps_lock light blinking.  After running through these forums and the web at large, I tried a bunch of possible solutions.  After a bunch of detective work, I found out that the culrpit is my DIMM-A slot.  Computers works like a well-oiled (albeit much slower) machine when I only use half of my 2 DIMMs of memory, in the DIMM-B slot.

This seems to be a common issue on the forums.  Is Dell going to treat this like a board defect and fix it outside of warranty ? 

Also, I had my laptop sent in while it was in Warranty for a wobbly headphone jack, which I'm guessing necessitated a mainboard swap.  Since I was swapped a mainboard that obviously has gone bad, does Dell offer any type of recourse ?  I'm thinking I could've lived with a wobbly headphone jack if I could've used all my memory.

Last question.  If it comes down to me needing to replace the mainboard, how much does Dell charge for out-of-warranty parts & labor to swap out mainboards ?

Otherwise, the Inspiron has been a great mobile computing companion, but this problem has driven me a bit mad.

Thanks much !!
-Nick

7.9K Posts

November 7th, 2004 23:00

You should be able to buy a 512 stick for DimmB, which is probably enough to keep things running smoothly.  It's also your cheapest option as a mainboard repair/replace will cost a mint.

That's really your only option -- I assume you have tried other ram in DimmA to ensure that the slot is the problem, and not the ram?

30 Posts

November 8th, 2004 00:00

You could try a suggestion by johnallg posted here

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=168686&query.id=365208#M168686

If the problem is the contacts being dirty, this may solve the problem.

Good Luck!

Tristated

November 8th, 2004 02:00

Nemesis- Yep, tried both the stock Dell stick, my other stick of Crucial, and a spare stick I had in the parts bin. All of them cause the error. I was hoping to avoid a costly 512mb stick, leaving me with 2 useless 256's, but it looks like I'm headed that way.

tristated -- Thanks for the suggestion, I had hope that this was the problem and hit the DIMMA with some good jolts of compressed air and some isopropyl. I got a lockup on my first boot and a BSOD after my second-- oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for suggesting.

I've seen all sorts of stuff go wrong on laptops and desktops, but I'm surprised that a problem so many users are seeing isn't being treated as a recall or repair bulletin of some sort.

I'm off to crucial to find a replacement 512 stick....

-Nick

7.9K Posts

November 8th, 2004 02:00

in all honesty, while i've seen a few users report that issue, given how many of them there are in existence and how old they are...

that said, you can get a 512 stick of value kingston for around 110, under 100 if you catch a rebate ...  it's not the best brand, but if you buy from somewhere like bestbuy that will take it back if it doesn't work, it's not a bad option.    I assume the 8200 uses pc2100, i really don't know for sure ;p
No Events found!