Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

August 17th, 2005 00:00

9300 Internal Microphone: Is there one?

And if there is one, how do I activate it?

3 Posts

August 17th, 2005 04:00

I was thinking the same thing.  In Windows XP Pro, it shows the mic as the Sigmatel device, but no sound is captured.  I checked the BIOS (hoping for an enable/disable Microphone switch) to no avail...

Help?!?

Another nit - it would be great if we could alter the trebel and bass with the Sigmatel drivers :)

14.4K Posts

August 17th, 2005 08:00

afaik there isn't one!

5 Posts

August 24th, 2005 18:00

Sometimes I feel like Dell needs to get a clue.  Why would they not put an internal Microphone on a high end unit like a 9300.  It is absolutely ridiculous and a tremendous disappointed in their decision not to include it.

47 Posts

September 4th, 2005 05:00

Isn't this absolutely unbelievable? I just found out myself. I'm both angered and stunned--not sure which more intensely.

They finally get Internet voice working in a simple, zero-config, trouble-free way, and I get stuck with a "new", high-end, multimedia-centric computer that doesn't even have a microphone.

I'm very glad I'm within 30 days, barely. Feel bad for all those who don't have that option, though--Dell really pulled a fast one on all of us.

47 Posts

September 4th, 2005 07:00

Here's one way Dell could make this right: create a custom microphone jsut for the 9300 that plugs into the microphone jack and then runs nearly flush to the chassis up to or just above surface level on the righthand side, so it'd be always there, just as though it were built in. Then distribute it free to all 9300 owners.

Now do I expect Dell to do this? Fat chance. But they should. This is very much the kind of thing that could generate a lawssuit (class action), particularly once people start trying things like Google Talk (try it--it just works, so far anyway, with better than landline quality, and with no setup hassles. Amazing), and given that Dell nowhere mentions this omission during the order configuration process, and given that Dell often advertises the 9300 as a high-end multimedia solution.

I've already, just tonight, stunned some friends into avoiding the 9300, and I will continue to do so until they resolve this problem. I've nothing against Dell per se, but this is truly shameful on their part, and it's entirely appropriate that they, not the formerly trusting users, should pay the time and money necessary to make things right.

Or is it really okay, from Dell's perspective, to force users to carry an extra microphone/headset in addition to the world's biggest ntoebook computer just to get the full set of rudimentary audio capabilities?

September 6th, 2005 22:00

WOW No Microphone in the 9300, this is just unbelievable.
What about the XPS Gen 2?  It is very similar to the 9300.  Does it also not have a microphone?

And to think I was considering purchasing one of these pieces of junk.  Glad I haven't, I'd be very disappointed and probably have to send it back.  I bet if a few hundred people ordered and then sent them back this would get corrected real quick.

47 Posts

September 15th, 2005 00:00

Another reason to consider yourself lucky: Dell used to have a 30-day money-back guarantee, which I presumed when I bought this. Turns out it's only 21 days, and only part of your money back.

Dell has turned tacit deception into a profit center--rather ballsy of them, I must admit.

47 Posts

September 15th, 2005 00:00

Oh, and BTW, NONE, that's right, NONE of Dell's notebooks has a microphone now. ZERO.

Back to 1985 for Dell, I guess. And that's okay, if they wouldn't INVOLUNTARILY take their customers with them! :(
No Events found!