Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2017 16:00

9550 second HDD installation: not recognized

Hello, I have an XPS 15 9550 with 256GB SSD. I bought an interposer cable with rubbers and tried to install a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO HDD in the spare slot. Not showing up in disk management,  not in device manager, not even showing up in BIOS. SATA0 and SATA1 are turned on in BIOS. I double checked the interposer connections and everything seems tight on both ends. This should just require partitioning to work, right? So I could just have a DOA 850 EVO. What else could it be? BIOS is set to RAID not AHCI, but that should be OK?

Thank you all

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 20th, 2017 17:00

I'm surprised you even needed an interposer cable since I thought every XPS 15 9550 that shipped with the smaller battery, thereby making the space for a 2.5" drive available, also came with an actual drive installed there.  Or did you swap a smaller battery in as well?  Anyway, yes that should be all it takes, and you should see the disk in Disk Management whether you have RAID or AHCI selected, and you should DEFINITELY see the disk listed in the BIOS under all circumstances -- so it could be a DOA interposer cable, SSD, or I suppose a motherboard connector.  Easiest variable to isolate would be the SSD since that can be tested in any other system with a SATA connector.

13 Posts

September 1st, 2017 15:00

Turned out to be a bad interposer cable. Working fine now.

13 Posts

August 20th, 2017 18:00

Hi, thanks for the help! Yes, I bought it new from Dell with the smaller battery, it had no HDD and no interposer, just the metal frame the drive would fit into. There are threads out there specing the cable, got one off Amazon. So it could be a bad cable or the new in box HDD. I'll test the HDD when I find my USB/SATA adapter!

13 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 16:00

The 850 EVO tests OK, mounted it over USB and formatted it. Still not recognized on the interposer though, so I sent away for a new one, but it's the same part number: XDYGX. The pins inspect OK, everything looks and feels OK as far as insertion.

No Events found!