Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2010 07:00

A/C Adapter, Battery, and CPU.... why?

Some time ago, my Dell AC90 AC adapter stopped being recognized by my Inspirion E1705, and then quit working altogether (it was my 2nd one.. i should mention I already had one replaced under warrenty for the same issues). I purchased a replacement adapter (non-dell) since I felt that Dell's OEM prices were ridiculous.  As such, I'm being punished in 2 ways:

1. No more battery charging

2. Processor speed has been cut back.

The battery not charging isn't so much my problem as the crippling of my cpu. This makes gaming and media unenjoyable, and renders the computer useless. Please tell me how to reinstate my original processor speed despite the a/c adapter, so that I can have back the computer that you so willingly took my $800 for. I've searched extensively through out tech support sites and the web in general and have found no help, but met many people that are equally frustrated with the punishment for simply choosing not to pay $70 for a $9.99 AC adapter.

In closing, I'd just like to point out that I've always sworn by and spoken highly of Dell, but I've become nothing but a pocket of bad marketing since this problem. Please change my mind and tell me how to reverse this senseless act of manufacturer terrorism. If I cannot resolve this issue, I will be forced to purchase a replacement laptop. Likely from a more accepting manufacturer.

1 Message

October 27th, 2010 00:00

The battery not charging isn't so much my problem as the crippling of my cpu. This makes gaming and media unenjoyable, and renders the computer useless. Please tell me how to reinstate my original processor speed despite the a/c adapter, so that I can have back the computer that you so willingly took my $800 for.

My AC Adapter stopped being recognized to and my CPU Speed was reduced to 600Mhz. Did a lot of research on the net and finally found this tool, which worked for me: This Notebook Hardware Control (http://www.pbus-167.com/) restored my CPU Speed to normal 2Ghz.

Some Background Information about Dell AC can be found at Laptop Junction: http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed. Really Interesting.

Hopefully this works for you too.

Cheers,

T

11 Posts

November 13th, 2010 06:00

HAH! It works! I didn't use NHC, but the CPU Rightmark clock Utility is doing the trick!!  Find it here -> http://cpu.rightmark.org/ Nomore throwing extra $ at Dell! @Dell: Keep your lousy warranty! (sorry, just a "lil" bit excited to have my pc back at full speed)!! :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank you to all that were supportive and helped! Trolls, you were wrong, sorry, no lovely parting gifts. lol ;)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2010 08:00

Third party adapters are problematic.  To solve the problem, buy a Dell adapter - they cost half what you're claiming they do.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=299

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2010 09:00

So, what you're looking for is akin to going to the doctor and asking for relief from a sore tennis elbow, and you're not willing to stop playing tennis.  Sorry, but that makes no sense.

The simple fact is that third party adapters do not fully function with Dell systems.  Usually they will fully power the system but won't charge the battery - if you're seeing a system that won't run at full speed, chances are it's the jack or mainboard that's the problem, not the adapter.  As with the elbow problem, the fix is to truly solve the problem - if you want to do that, have the jack fixed or the mainboard replaced.

If you decide to fix the problem, there's the solution.  If you want to moan about it and proselytize with useless, flippant remarks, don't let the door hit you on the way out, and I apologize in advance for having wasted my time and yours trying to solve a problem that emanates from you, not the system.

11 Posts

July 17th, 2010 09:00

umm... thank you for that,  but I'm not looking for solicitors (is that even allowed?). I have an adapter that works just fine and besides, $70 or $40..  no matter how u slice it, it's still too much to pay for a $9.99 item.  Not to mention the quality of the product is so poor that I will end up replacing it in a few months anyway.

As I had pleaded earlier, I would greatly appreciate anyone that can tell me how to recover my cpu speed, despite a "third party adapter".

11 Posts

July 17th, 2010 10:00

@EJN63: What I'm asking for is like going to the Eye doctor and asking for Laser Surgery to fix the problem, instead of being suplimented with glasses for the rest of my life. Sorry if that offends you, but some of us refuse to settle for what is forced down our throat. The problem is that without an OEM A/C, your bios forces lower voltage settings.  There is no need for a setting like this, I'm simply trying to find a way to bypass this.  So please, unless you happen to know how to do so, please refrain from spamming my request for help.

@all: Again, I ask, please reply with a fix  that does not include spending money on EOM equipment, just simply restoring the cpu clock speed to its original state.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2010 11:00

You're not listening anyway, but I'll phrase it as simply as I can:

There is no solution that will suit you.  Simply put:

A non-Dell adapter WILL NOT CHARGE THE BATTERY and this situation cannot be changed other than with a Dell adapter.  If you want to solve the problem, try this FIRST.

If the new Dell adapter doesn't charge the battery and/or won't run the system at full power, then the fault is with the mainboard, which needs to be repaired or replaced accordingly. There is similarly no way to alter the firmware to make the system run at full speed when it doesn't sense the proper AC adapter being connected. 

This isn't uncommon - plenty of other manufacturers include the adapter and battery in a proprietary loop setup - Apple does, as do most Sony, Toshiba, and many other systems.

11 Posts

July 17th, 2010 13:00

Some time ago, my Dell AC90 AC adapter stopped being recognized by my Inspirion E1705, and then quit working altogether (it was my 2nd one.. i should mention I already had one replaced under warrenty for the same issues). I purchased a replacement adapter (non-dell) since I felt that Dell's OEM prices were ridiculous.  As such, I'm being punished in 2 ways:

The battery not charging isn't so much my problem as the crippling of my cpu. This makes gaming and media unenjoyable, and renders the computer useless. Please tell me how to reinstate my original processor speed despite the a/c adapter, so that I can have back the computer that you so willingly took my $800 for. I've searched extensively through out tech support sites and the web in general and have found no help, but met many people that are equally frustrated with the punishment for simply choosing not to pay $70 for a $9.99 AC adapter.

In closing, I'd just like to point out that I've always sworn by and spoken highly of Dell, but I've become nothing but a pocket of bad marketing since this problem. Please change my mind and tell me how to reverse this senseless act of manufacturer terrorism. If I cannot resolve this issue, I will be forced to purchase a replacement laptop. Likely from a more accepting manufacturer.

2.2K Posts

July 17th, 2010 14:00

"simply choosing not to pay $70 for a $9.99 AC adapter."

" If I cannot resolve this issue, I will be forced to purchase a replacement laptop. Likely from a more accepting manufacturer."

Before you do that, check the price of replacement AC Adapter from the competitors. You will not find one for anywhere near $9.99.

Also, consider the cost of a new laptop versus the cost of a genuine Dell replacement AC Adapter. As has been pointed out, they are cheaper from a third party vendor.

One more thing to ponder... Why are you upset with Dell that the AC Adapter you bought, not made or approved by Dell, does not work? Did the adapter claim it wold work with your machine? Have you tried exchanging / returning it? There may be third party adapters out there that would fully meet what you want it to do, but really, since the genuine Dells can be had  quite easily for under $50, why risk it?

Bottom lines....

1.) No other manufacturer has significantly cheaper AC Adapters.

2.) Dell is not responsible for third party products.

3.) This one is the key to your question... There is no way to alter your Dell to make the AC adapter you purchased work with you laptop. Even if there is, does it make sense to alter an expensive laptop to make it work with what you term a $10 adapter?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 17th, 2010 14:00

You are too funny.

Reposting isn't going to change a thing. Dell has chosen to design their product this way. No amount of repeated posting by you is going to change the hardware and the software as it is currently implemented. If you choose to ignore reality, you will be like that man who repeatedly bangs his head against the wall not learning when to quit. Your head will hurt, but the wall still stands.

11 Posts

July 17th, 2010 16:00

Thank you HROVA!

I was just hoping that someone could tell me how to bypass this problem. The system can and has run at a faster speed, it just refuses to because of presets that I was hoping could disappear if I asked.  I didn't realize I was touching a nerve with the Dell community by asking.

Actually, I'm not upset with the $10 A/C adapter at all. It's one of the best purchases I've made for this laptop, it's out lived either of my Dell adapters, and even at $40 a piece, I would rather not purchase a "may be slightly used" new OEM A/C Adapter every few months until who knows when.  Thus making a new, more dependable setup more cost effective (especially if I can get away from this "buy only OEM" trap.. and believe me, I'll research before I buy!). 

What does upset me however is how Dell has crippled my once wonderful laptop simply because I chose to use a different (and more durable) brand of A/C adapter. Because of these processor limitations, this computer has been rendered to a max capability of running MSOffice 2000.  It is totally worthless otherwise. Even simple flash games are too complicated and pull less than 5FPS.  I know the E1705 has the capability of being a great computer, I've seen it. Oh well.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2010 17:00

What makes no sense is your line of reasoning - you'd rather be upset than spend $30 more than you did, to truly fix the problem.

To each his own, I guess - some people like complaining, others like solving problems.

If you don't want to be in this position with your next system, then DON'T buy from Dell - Apple, Sony, HP/Compaq, Toshiba or Lenovo.  They all have some combination of proprietary battery/adapter or both.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 17th, 2010 18:00

I didn't realize I was touching a nerve with the Dell community by asking.

Touching a nerve? No. We are simply amazed at you pigheadedness.

In the end, the only person you are hurting is yourself.

So be it.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

5.2K Posts

July 17th, 2010 19:00

This thing got way out of control. You can purchase GENUINE Dell adapter from many third parties for 1/3 to 1/2 of Dells price, and they will work; first hand experience. The non-Dell third party units do not send the laptop an ID signal that the computer needs before doing any charging. This signal is actually an industry standard that only Dell uses. Yes, they do it to protect the laptop from junk chargers and to get more sales.

11 Posts

July 17th, 2010 19:00

@ieee488: See ^^^...

No Events found!