8 Xenon

Re: A/C Adapter, Battery, and CPU.... why?

Jump to solution

What makes no sense is your line of reasoning - you'd rather be upset than spend $30 more than you did, to truly fix the problem.

To each his own, I guess - some people like complaining, others like solving problems.

If you don't want to be in this position with your next system, then DON'T buy from Dell - Apple, Sony, HP/Compaq, Toshiba or Lenovo.  They all have some combination of proprietary battery/adapter or both.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I didn't realize I was touching a nerve with the Dell community by asking.

Touching a nerve? No. We are simply amazed at you pigheadedness.

In the end, the only person you are hurting is yourself.

So be it.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

0 Kudos
ewoelfert
6 Indium

Jump to solution

@EJN63: Just had to get that last word in there, eh? lol Thanks for flaming me m8. Threads over, thanks for coming.. and coming... and coming...

0 Kudos
ewoelfert
6 Indium

Jump to solution

@ieee488: See ^^^...

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

This thing got way out of control. You can purchase GENUINE Dell adapter from many third parties for 1/3 to 1/2 of Dells price, and they will work; first hand experience. The non-Dell third party units do not send the laptop an ID signal that the computer needs before doing any charging. This signal is actually an industry standard that only Dell uses. Yes, they do it to protect the laptop from junk chargers and to get more sales.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
sraskow
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I totally agree with you. Dell sells so many computers that they don't care about making it right for those with legitimate complaints. I've replaced 2 motherboards, 3 hard drives, 1 moniter, 2 keyboards, 1 memory, 1 wireless adapter on my laptop. They won't even begin to discuss a replacement. They just keep replacing parts until my warranty expires in 6 months. I will never buy another item through Dell, as apparently they don't need my business. I will try to dissuade as many people as I can from buying their products as well. I hope more read your post. Check mine out, "Inspiron 1721..."

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

This thing got way out of control. You can purchase GENUINE Dell adapter from many third parties for 1/3 to 1/2 of Dells price, and they will work; first hand experience. The non-Dell third party units do not send the laptop an ID signal that the computer needs before doing any charging. This signal is actually an industry standard that only Dell uses. Yes, they do it to protect the laptop from junk chargers and to get more sales.

I disagree that this thing has gotten out of control. The only thing out of control is the OP's obstinate refusal to buy a Dell AC charger. Then he is angry at us for pointing out the obvious AGAIN after he reposts his original question???  As if reposting a question would change result in a different answer?

The situation with the Dell AC charger is not unique. I have a Motorola cell phone. Unknowingly I bought a 3rd party car charger for it. The phone refuses to charge with the non-Motorola car charger.

0 Kudos
ewoelfert
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Someone hacked my Dell account?? hahaha.. desperation of the lowest degree. Thanks for reposting for me, but like I said earlier, thread's over, go home.  Thought I made that pretty clear.

Any mods around that can close the thread please?

0 Kudos
toorguide
1 Copper

Jump to solution

All this flaming aside, one comment.

Volts is Volts and Amps is Amps, and any supply with the proper voltage and enough current will do the job. It is possible to modulate a signal on the supply line, but it would incur cost, and serve absolutely no purpose other to require a specific device. Would Dell do such a thing to its loyal, although somewhat impolite (as seen on this thread) customers?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The answer is that there is a logic circuit in between the battery and adapter - you cannot use a non-Dell adapter to charge the battery, though one WILL generally power the system unless something else is wrong (such as a faulty jack or power circuit on the mainboard).

0 Kudos