Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

June 30th, 2011 16:00

A Dell Studio 1555 is having strange power problems.

Dear readers,

I'm having big problems with a Dell Studio 1555.

It falls out constantly. When i want to start it with the power button it won't work.

1. When I put out the battery and put it back in, immidiately the power is on. I see the POST and press on F12 for the boot option. Then the screen turns black. But when I switch between screens with the F2 button it comes back on the laptop. I start the Windows 7 DVD. The process starts until i see the green bar with 'Microsoft Corporation' below it. Then the power shuts off.
  2. Same happens if I start it from the harddisk.

What have I done so far:

• I checked the harddisk for errors. Nothing found.
  • I checked the harddisk for virusses and malware. Nothing found.
  • I put out the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Result is the same as discribed in point 1 en 2.
  • I put out the battery (accu), pushed the powerbutton for 30 secs without the adapter. Put it on the adapter without the battery and pushed the powerbotton. Same happens as in 1 and 2.

Does anyone know what the problem is or the better, what the resolution is? Please help because I have no clue.

With regards,

Marco van Groos

21 Posts

June 30th, 2011 22:00

Sounds like defective hardware (motherboard, CPU, RAM).

2 Posts

July 1st, 2011 00:00

Hi Laptopknight,

Thanks for your quick answer. I already had the same feeling. But Is there a way to find out this is really the problem?

Kind regards,

Marco van Groos.

21 Posts

July 1st, 2011 07:00

There are commercial system diagnostics software out there to test this IF you can boot to windows.  Otherwise it's just a process of elimination.  There's some free memory testing software out there like memtest x86 or the Microsoft memory testing program but may not be as comprehensive as commercial.  Can you run Dell's built-in diagnostic check at boot?  Also you could try re-seating the memory and if using two memory sticks try one at a time.

No Events found!