Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 23:00

A11 on Inspiron 1525 incompatible w/ Vista SP1?

I made the mistake of applying a BIOS update very close to the same time that I had applied Vista SP1 on aDell Inspiron 1525. After applying both updates, the laptop would consistently reboot when put to sleep (hardreboot instead of sleep), and would reboot instead of shutting down when hibernating after committing thememory image to disk. Rolling back SP1 would make the problem intermittent, but did not resolve completely. Reapplying SP1 and rolling the BIOS back to A09 seems to have resolve the issue.

Is there a known incompatability with BIOS A11 and Vista SP1 on the Inspiron 1525?  

1 Message

June 17th, 2008 08:00

Thanks to all of you on this thread,I have managed to sort this same problem out by changing the power management of the 1395.

My laptop is 8 days old...!

Any ideas why this only happened after sp1?

Thanks again

21 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 06:00

I too seemed to have solved the problem by disabling the Dell WLAN power setting.

I am at the end of my rope with Dell.  This is the third laptop in a row that has had some sort of fixable, yet nearly critical issue with power savings and management settings.  The first two were Inspiron 1520's.  The 1500 line has not been up to Dell's usual quality and reliability.  I have been very disappointed.

Pointing the finger at MS is not an excuse.  If the issue is known, and from the number posting here it clearly is, Dell should have a real solution by now.

My thanks to a great user community to figure out a workaround.

My message to Dell:  Shape up, or you're going to lose customers. 

21 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 18:00

AlexanderN--

I tried doing each individually.  I also went through each of the other approaches listed in this thread individually.  The only one that worked for me was disallowing windows to turn off the wireless card.

Others on here have claimed other fixes have worked.  My suspicion is that either there is a more fundamental problem here, or that the users that changed the bios to fix the problem never posted back when the problem returned.  For an hour or so, I thought replacing the BIOS with an older version worked, but it did not.

My symptoms were exactly as everyone else described.  Sleeping would work twice after I changed something, and on the third try would cause a reboot.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if HP users were having the same problem.  They were, but HP quickly released a fix within days of SP1.  As far as I can tell, every Inspiron 1525 with the standard wireless card has this issue.  What is Dell waiting for?

6 Posts

Hi,

Wow amazing! This appears to have solved the problem for me.  

No messing around with BIOS etc. I just changed the power management settings on the Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN card to DISALLOW the computer to turn it off to save power (the wake option was disallowed by default). I have tried sleep/hibernate/shutdown and restart and it all seems to work fine. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Thanks guys so much. Now I can go into sleep mode properly :smileyhappy:

6 Posts

Hi,
What a relief to find this community.

I have the same problem with the shutdown doing a restart on my Inspiron 1525 Vista SP1 Bios A11 (3 weeks old). As far as I recall I first noticed this after the SP1 update. I am using Dell recommended power settings.

I have found that it shuts down and hibernates properly if I manually turn off the wireless using the switch at the right hand side of the computer so I strongly suspect for me it may be an issue with the wireless.

I have two listed network adapters: 1395 WLAN Mini card and the Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Fast Ethernet controller. At present the power management options for both of these ALLOW the computer to turn them off to save power off this device but DISALLOW them to wake the computer. The driver for the Marvell Fast Ethernet controller was listed by Windows as a previous reason for slow shutdown. The latest driver (10.61.2.3) on the Marvell website http://www.marvell.com/drivers/ is very recent 20/05/2008 so I updated that (it seems not to affect the shutdown/reboot issue however). Should I change the power management options on both of these to DISALLOW power saving?

Dell: The laptop is great but this bug has been a real pain for me.

5 Posts

June 29th, 2008 20:00

so if i update to SP1, and change the wireless settings, i wont be having problems with sleep/hibernate/shutdown? would this fix the problem that i am having with the laptop sleeping randomly against the power setting?

6 Posts

June 30th, 2008 17:00

For me the fix worked perfectly for the shutdown/hibernate/sleep rebooting problem. I didn't experience random sleeping. Did your problems only start after SP1?

5 Posts

June 30th, 2008 18:00

i dunno anymore, i had the sleep/hiberanate reboot problem after SP1, so i did a factory restore, and than after installing and than uninstalling SP1, i noticed this problem. I did another factory restore, but no SP1 this time, everything was going good until couple nights ago, when it started randomly sleeping, hibernate. i upgrade to sp1, and problem is still there

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2008 20:00

Pointing the finger at MS is not an excuse. 

Agreed. Can you provide a link to where the problem was blamed on MS? I am assuming you are intimating that Dell is blaming MS for the problem.

This issue has been escalated for investigation to the proper engineering groups at Dell.

21 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 23:00

Many users on these forums and others across the web have reported the same issue.  Searching for this issue, I stumbled across several similar threads on this forum alone, most of which simply led nowhere.  Many have called technical support on this issue.  Many have been told by Dell tech support to reformat drives, update different things, or disable the Microsoft Hi-Def Audio Codec, etc.  In many cases, the finger is pointed at Microsoft when the actual solution is not known.  Clearly, this problem has not yet been given the attention it deserves.

What really bothers me is that this is a very obvious problem.  We're not talking about some subtle detail with odd components.  This is a generic wireless card and sleep mode.  Users couldn't operate their 1525 for more than a few hours before noticing it, and yet Dell still managed to allow this configuration into production.

11 Posts

July 4th, 2008 14:00

I've spent the better part of a week trying to fix this problem.

I bought this laptop at Best Buy and they have ZERO support for it.

Dell needs to get a solution out there ASAP!

Otherwise, this is my last Dell and will be returned.  Back to Lenovo for me.

The shocking thing is that this is a HUGE PROBLEM with no answer.

11 Posts

July 4th, 2008 14:00

SoapBox:

If you are experiencing this problem, PLEASE post in this forum.

Dell needs to know how huge a problem this is.

41 Posts

July 4th, 2008 15:00

The shocking thing is that this is a HUGE PROBLEM with no answer.

It seems that many people have solved it by turning off the power management on the wireless adapter. That's been "the answer" for most of the people in this thread.

41 Posts

July 4th, 2008 16:00

You make it sound like that this is NOT a problem.

Disabling the wireless card function is a WORK AROUND...not a solution.  This should work out of the box.  Right?

It might be a "work around" but you are not disabling the wireless card, just an option that is almost never used. Sure, it's a screw-up but I am willing to cut Dell a little slack on this. The "workaround" shouldn't dampen your enjoyment of the product in any way. You've already been told by Dell that they are aware of the problem and have elevated it. In the meantime, just unclick the option, enjoy your laptop and wait for the update that will probably be soon posted to their web site.

11 Posts

July 4th, 2008 16:00

khisel :

You make it sound like that this is NOT a problem.

Disabling the wireless card function is a WORK AROUND...not a solution.  This should work out of the box.  Right?

Not every consumer can spend the time or feels comfortable in fixing the problem with this work around.

This is a clear and obvious problem.  How was it not detected during deployment of the product?

Again, for this product to go out retail (Best Buy) speaks to the level of Dells quality today.

Last, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't a customer figure out the work around an not Dell?  This problem has been known for a few months now with no fix.

Do I sound upset?  I am...along with many, many other customers.

No Events found!