Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 23:00

A11 on Inspiron 1525 incompatible w/ Vista SP1?

I made the mistake of applying a BIOS update very close to the same time that I had applied Vista SP1 on aDell Inspiron 1525. After applying both updates, the laptop would consistently reboot when put to sleep (hardreboot instead of sleep), and would reboot instead of shutting down when hibernating after committing thememory image to disk. Rolling back SP1 would make the problem intermittent, but did not resolve completely. Reapplying SP1 and rolling the BIOS back to A09 seems to have resolve the issue.

Is there a known incompatability with BIOS A11 and Vista SP1 on the Inspiron 1525?  

41 Posts

April 11th, 2008 17:00

I had the same problem with my 1525 (preloaded with SP1) after "upgrading" to A11. After successfully going into hibernate, the machine would reboot! Not very useful. I fixed this by downgrading to A09 and that seems to have fixed the problem. It also may have fixed another problem: the wireless connection would be confused after coming out of hibernation and only had "local access", i.e., no Internet. I'd have to reconnect and that would solve the problem--it would always reconnect manually properly. After "downgrading" the BIOS, I reconnect to the wireless after hibernation with no problem.

I think that A11 BIOS has some issues.

Message Edited by khisel on 04-11-2008 01:46 PM

41 Posts

April 11th, 2008 20:00

Yes, it came preloaded with SP1.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2008 20:00

Interesting. I will sticky this thread to the top and see if other users are reporting the same symptoms.

khisel,

Have you upgraded to SP1 as well?

1 Message

April 14th, 2008 21:00

Same thing here, I upgrade my BIOS from A09 to A11 on Inspiron 1525 and now I have problem with sleep,shut down and hibernation, it restarts the computer. The only way to shut it down is pressing and holding the power button.

8 Posts

April 24th, 2008 08:00

My 1525 came without OS, i've installed Vista with SP 1 integrated and after finishing with drivers & stuff, i've upgraded bios to A11.

I have no problem with sleep/hibernate/restart/shutdown .. everything is working as it suppose to ..

7 Posts

May 1st, 2008 11:00

Do we have a definitive answer to this yet. I have the exact same issue: Inspiron 1525 with Vista SP1 and BIOS A11. Sleep or hibernate causes reboot. Is there a way to tweak the BIOS or should I try downgrading to A9? Thanks.

8 Posts

May 5th, 2008 20:00

same problem here i realy didnt knew where to post it but here it goes:

I setup vista, installed drivers and updated bios.

Since sp1 i dont remember before, the insp 1525 almost every time i want to hibernate the pc it will reboot after the end of the hibernate process wich takes a while too.

I found several things about this that i thought could be the problem too but im not sure about it:

Check this out 1525 Vista sp1 users:

1. Do "Properties" On "My computer"

2. at button "See Also" click "Performance"

3. at "Tasks" click "Advanced Tools"

4. at the "Performance Issues" you may see:

"/!\ Drivers are interfering with Windows entering sleep mode. View details."

5. click that line and a window will pop up. saying:

"These drivers are causing windows to stand by or hibernate slowly"

Name: Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - ia32

Filename: iaStor.sys

Publisher: Intel Corp.

Device: intel(r) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

Date: v mar. 28, 2008 10:55

Time Taken: 3.8 sec 

"If you no longer use the device, consider uninstalling it. For more information click HELP"

6. donno what to do to resolve the issue

Running: dell insp. 1525/ WinVista sp1

8 Posts

May 5th, 2008 21:00

Could be the difference because i don't have any "issues" in "Performance Issues"

in my case ... 

I've used Vista Manager to check and there isn't any Intel Matrix Storage just one Intel RAID Controller Vista which is listed as Disabled.

Also, there isn't any iaStor.sys file present in \System32\Drivers but there is iastorv.sys

So .. I've downloaded R166201 (Intel Turbo Memory), which by default install also Matrix Storage Manager.

Then, i realized that R166201 comes with an older version of iastor.sys (7.0.1.1001) and updated driver with R166200 where version is 7.5.0.1017, restarted and...is entering in sleep mode without problems.

sorry guys .. if that is the problem is very likely that an updated version of driver (after SP1) will solve the problem but as i described above, in my 1525, there isn't any symptoms, sleep is working as it should be.

13 Posts

May 6th, 2008 06:00

Exactly the same problem for my new Inspiron 1525 (of less than a week) with A11 and Vista SP1: sleep always restarts the PC with the screen for choosing fail safe mode or other modes; hibernation restarts Winidows simply.

The 'powercfg -a' command says that S3 (hibernation) is available, but not S1 and S2 (standby), because not supported by the BIOS. It is true that in the BIOS there is nothing about standby or hibernation. Are there items in your BIOS about standby/hibernation?

I have found a way to shut down the PC with the Windows menu (instead of the power button): in a Dos command window, do "powercfg -h off"; disable hibernation in the power management of Windows, then the PC can be shut down normally.

3 Posts

May 7th, 2008 03:00

Hooray BIOS A09

Booo BIOS A11

I too have had this "reboot on Sleep" problem with the Inspiron 1525 I purchased mid-April 2008. The laptop shipped from Dell with BIOS A11 installed and Vista without SP1. I installed SP1 two weeks ago, and have been baffled by the reboot problem ever since that time. I downgraded my BIOS from A11 to A09 tonight and just re-tested. Problem solved, no more reboot on sleep.

Dell tech support, start your engines.....

Microsoft began its phased push of Vista SP1 over Automatic Updates the week of April 23rd:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145030/vista_sp1_released_to_automatic_update.html

Message Edited by tarokaja on 05-06-2008 11:35 PM

3 Posts

May 7th, 2008 03:00

After downgrading my BIOS from A11 to A09, here is the output of "powercfg -a"

The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Is this different from "powercfg -a" on BIOS A11?

7 Posts

May 7th, 2008 11:00

Let me add another wrinkle here. After an hour on the phone with Dell tech support, I was advized to do a clean re-install of Vista and the Dell drivers. So, now I am running BIOS A11 with Vista (not SP1 yet) and Dell drivers. Everything was working fine until I installed Office 2003 -- then right back to the sleep problems. So, I uninstalled Office and now it seems to be fine again.

Any similar experiences?

7 Posts

May 7th, 2008 15:00

I too am having similar issues.  I got my Insp. 1525 on  4/15 with Vista and BIOS A09. On 4/21 I installed sp1but did not notice any problems. On 4/29 I installed Office 2003 and noticed the shutdown problem at that time. I ended up doing a "hard" shutdown. I thought maybe it was a fluke since it has worked as normal until 5/06. Yesterday it did it again and during startup I noticed that the BIOS was version A11. I don't even know how to do a BIOS update so I have no idea how that got updated. Anyway, my point is that the problem is intermittent. It has not done it again since yesterday. I updated some drivers today, we'll see if that makes a difference...

8 Posts

May 7th, 2008 22:00

nop .. i have exactly the same output on A11 after powercfg -a

question : do you (all) install drivers in correct order, starting with mb chipset? as dell recomands on drivers page?

Message Edited by Celestin on 05-07-2008 06:20 PM

8 Posts

May 8th, 2008 10:00

:) this is funny .. until yesterday post, none of the problems appears in my 1525 but after that, i close the lid and surprise .. not sleep, restart.

After complete loading of Vista, I closed the lid and again the system restarted. I close it directly from on/off button and i went to sleep.

Today, after initial loading I closed the lid and it sleep state was initiated without problems.

No Events found!