Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2005 03:00

AC adapter connector

I was having problems with my AC adapter connector.  Originally I thought I was having a power adapter problem because the end of my power cable that plugs into my computer was overheating and melting.  I've gone through three power cables now and I believe I am having problems with my AC adapter connector.  The female end on the computer that the power cable plugs into.   There are three prongs inside this connector.  Could they be dirty and need cleaned.   Would that be causing the connection to overheat and melt the plastic power cable.   Or is it possible to buy a replacement part and take the old female end out and put a new one in?  I just bought my fourth power cable and I hope I get this fixed before I need to use it.  Thanks for any help!

Dell Inspiron 4000

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2005 10:00

It sounds more like you should be looking for a problem internal to the notebook - most likely, a faulty mainboard.

13 Posts

August 27th, 2005 14:00

I just bought my fourth adapter and cord but my middle school honor student figured it out that the adapter is to heavy to support the cord and it wears out , rips , burns, etc the device at the end of the adapter that swivels so the cord can move around, this part is not stong enough to support the weight of the adapter when moved around and a laptop is made to move around. Customer Service is deplorable and aware of the problem they are just there to sell more adapters and have no anwers to correcting the problem and act stupid or maybe it's no act.
I think everyone should get together and hold engineering and design responsible for a recall on this. They would if it was a car or any other sales item with a design flaw, they are just hoping that everyone feels it's something they are doing wrong and they can keep sliding by and making money by selling their recycled parts. You do know the parts you buy are recycled?  That a another kick in the pants.
So get the word out and maybe we can get the problem fixed or else we will be buying these cords alot at $46 4 to 6 times a year might as well aell the computer and by another brand. Calling all victims lets make Dell stand up and be accountable Class action  is another idea my brothers attorney. Let me know I keep getting ideas and they are sounding better and better . I've already started Website idea for persons with this issue. Good Luck Let me know if you can help???

3 Posts

September 6th, 2005 22:00

Just a little update....I was tired of buying all the power adapters because it ends up being the connector thats messed up and is frying the chord.  So I bought a docking station on ebay for cheap and now I charge and run my computer from teh docking station.  And the nice thing is I don't have to unplug and plug everything back in each time i move my computer. 

1 Message

September 6th, 2005 22:00

Great. I see everyone has the same problem, but I am basically computer illiterate and all I know is my cord quit recharging my computer. Do I have to buy another one or is it internal? I have an Inspiron 1150.

5 Posts

September 19th, 2011 05:00

totally agree. the connector design on the laptop motherboard is the problem and dell should be held accountable.

No Events found!