Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2013 03:00

AC power on?

I have a new Inspiron 15R touch that will not power on if it is plugged into the charger. The charger has to be unplugged to power on the laptop. Is this normal?

• 

3.3K Posts

August 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi Robo911

The system should work fine with the charger connected. Please check if there is steady LED on the Ac adapter when connected to a known good outlet (without connecting to the system).

Also if the Ac adapter is detected in the BIOS. Restart the system and at Dell logo tap the F2 key every two seconds to open the BIOS screen. Check what is listed for ‘Ac Adapter Type’.

Reply with the status to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2013 06:00

The AC adapter is working fine, the BIOS is 65w.

The charger is the one that came with the lap top, the light on it works and it charges the battery with no problem.

The problem is whenever it is on AC power (pluged into the power supply that came with the unit) the lap top will not power up until it is removed and plugged backed in.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi Robo911,

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors. Let me know if the system turns on (without the battery in).

I also recommend you to flash BIOS, chipset and video driver and in the same order. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Let me know the status after the update to assist you further.

No Events found!